Thread: want to open my own bittorrent site for 80s stuff

Heart

i have a bit of experience with web design, mainly html from a couple of years back

looking at opening a tracker for 80s movies and music as there doesnt seem to be a tracker like that at the moment...
    so im wondering if i could get some help? help with stuff like what do i need to download? php stuff, tracker software, layout etc? is it anythin like setting up phpnuke? and also need webhost help aswell, im in the uk, and i understand i cant just go with any host, but i need a host that accepts most major uk debit cards like mestro/switch

any help with all the above and whatever else i need and should know will be much appreciated

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    sorry I can't offer any help but I think you should go for it my wife would love a tracker like that

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    nadeem111as's Avatar Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    ya it is a good idea
    put cant help

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    double damn lol

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'd also look for an over seas host in a country that doesn't necessarily have laws against digital piracy, if you plan to have this site of your very long that is...

First thing I can think of that you will need to know heavily is PHP. Your tracker will be written in it, and your board/forum/torrent search engine will be too. I'd suggest getting a php app like some forum software, and experimenting with that before trying to run a site fluently.

Then take into account bandwidth, costs and usage. Just a simple 10MBit connection won't do the trick...

That's all I've got for now... Too tired to think.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Its trouble you know and yeah you gotta consider money because its going to take a lot of bandwith.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Dedalus^'s Avatar The Truth is Out BT Rep: +3
    I did a quick search and here's what i found:
    BNBT
    BNBT is a complete port of the original Python BitTorrent tracker to C++.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/bnbt

And:
    Filesoup
    This area is for assistance with all types of BitTorrent tracker software, such as installing and customizing PHP trackers, BNBT/Easytracker support, and any technical matters related to running a tracker.
    http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/BitTorre...tware-f10.html

You have to register for an account there, to access the section, but I think that's a good place to start.

Just so you know, it's probably very difficult to host your own tracker.. due to cheating, hacking, bandwidth, legalities etc.

And I do believe many music trackers carry very old songs as well as more recent additions. You'll probably find everything you'll need on OINK or Demonoid. Also, if speed's not a factor, you can probably find most of the 80's music on public trackers.

And there are classic movie trackers, such as http://www.karagarga.net, that carry many hard to find films.

But good luck with your site!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    duynghia's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    Almost private trackers use TB Source, it's open-source PHP web application, it mean that you can download & modify if you like and it does not require as much as knownledge as many people think, just follow a guild included. You also find out a good server that offer PHP, MySQL database, and of course, a domain that point to that server.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Sissoko's Avatar "Witty Comment" BT Rep: +2
    Sounds like a great idea, I hope you can get it up and running, you can't beat a bit of 80's.