Thread: R.I.P. David Gemmell

Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    So sad.

Fantasy writer Gemmell dies at 57

Fantasy novelist David Gemmell, best known for stories such as Legend and Waylander, has died at the age of 57.

Gemmell had heart bypass surgery two weeks ago and appeared to be making a good recovery, according to his publisher Transworld.

His career began in 1984 with Legend, a tale of a fortress under siege. He wrote 30 novels in total.

Transworld managing director Larry Finlay said Gemmell was "writing at the peak of his powers".

'Devoted fans'

"He was a true pleasure to work with," he said.

"We will surely miss him, as will his thousands of devoted fans around the world. Our thoughts are with his wife Stella and his two children."

Born in west London in 1948, Gemmell was expelled from school for gambling and went on to work as a labourer, driver's assistant and bouncer before becoming a journalist and newspaper editor.

His most recent books were two historical novels about the siege of Troy - Lord of the Silver Bow and Shield of Thunder.
    Sauce: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/5224868.stm

2. Lounge   -   #2
    This is indeed sad news. 57 is really still quite young and I was looking forward to his future works especially the 2nd book in his Troy series. I just took down his Rigante series from my library to re-read them and will follow with the Drenai series once more. He may be gone but he left his gift for story telling for all of us to enjoy again and again

He will be missed

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Rest in peace.

He will be missed by many fans

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Gripper's Avatar Dexter's Apprentice.
    That's bad news for the fantasy community,bugger.

All spelling mistakes and grammatical errors in my post's are intentional.