Thread: burner only burning at 3.4x??

i have a 16x liteon dvd burner and it was in my old desktop cpu.. but i got a laptop and put the burner in a external case which is usb2.0 compatible. so i got a usb2.0 card for my laptop so i could burn things faster well my problem is when i try to burn games or movies using dvd decyrptor it says its burning at 3.4x when i have it set on 8x.. is 3.4x as fast as its gonna get or is my usb2.0 card not workin? i dont get the message tht says this device could perform faster anymore so tht means its workin right??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Well you may want to have a look at this thread...http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread....losures+thread
    Sorry to say this but you don't really give enough information for people to be able to help you...exact drive name and enclosure name as well as firmware on the drive may help...I don't think you will find a lot dvd burner experts here you may want to consider a posting on the cdfreaks forum in the liteon section...Good luck, with the benq drives in an external enclosure it may require a different firmware...Not sure about the liteon...but would be interesting in knowing. I have an older 812@832 that I'm thinking about putting in an enclosure.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    o sorry just its a liteon sohw 1633s and the enclosure is a airlink 101 and the firmware i got from liteon is bsoy

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Are you using 8x media?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    At first i was using 16x media but ive read in a lot of places tht if you want to back up games tht u should burn at half of the media speed and anyway i did a cd/dvd speed test on nero and it maxed out at 3.4x

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Maybe you have to set DMA for the drive to get the best speeds. There are also settings in the bios for usb, high speed, legacy etc. try foolin with those to see what happens. Nero Start Smart has a section called "Get System Info" that may allow you to compair the settings of the internal and external drives to see if there is a drastic difference. It may also show you if DMA is enabled for the drive.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    It can be any number of problems. It might be bad media, you can find programs that test the brand and dye and all that info on the web. It could be the laptop can't handle those speeds over USB, or you don't have the right USB drivers, or something USB in the bios. And it could be the drivers for the burner too, make sure everything is up to date.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    accat13's post probably has the solution.

Open the case and look at what chip it uses, then search for updated firmware for the chip. It's my guess that the firmware is applied by the circuit board assembler not the chip maker, so the enclosure may be new but the firmware could be quite out of date.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I got the burner case off and this is what it says: Hynix, 505A, HY57V161610ETP-7, KOR; I went on the Hynix website but i cant find firmware upgrades on it, is there somewhere else i should go? also how would i check to see if i have the right usb drivers or something in the usb bios or wht ever Duffman was suggesting and also my burners firmware is updated.
    Last edited by bikejumpr2020; 07-31-2006 at 07:33 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    HY57V161610ETP-7 is a memory chip, probably just used as temporary storage between the drive and the USB interface.

Have another look, the actual driver chip is probably very small. The chip in my case is only about 6mm square.

USB and cd/dvd drivers are native in XP SP2.
    Out of date firmware would not cause this problem.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.