Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows xp sp2 activation

Peoples,

I have a windows xp sp2 cd that came with a new computer and i would really like to install it on my old gateway e4200 (p3, 666mhz, 256mb ram, 15 gig hard drive, sad isnt it.) but i dont have an activation key,

and i would really like to know what would be the easy way to get one,

ive heard of these key generators,
    but i have no idea how those work,
    if i downloaded one off bearshare,
    could i just generate an activation key before i actually install xp?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Key gens only produce a Product Installation code- the 25 digit alphanumeric key you enter during the install.
    This is not the same as "activating" Windows and AFAIK, no longer works.

If the disk you got with your new PC is an image as opposed to a full install it probably wouldn't work anyway...the hardware will be so different that it'll go crazy.

Your poor old Gateway would be terribly hardpressed to run XP even if you get it installed...why not just let it pass away in peace?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I'd get a copy of Win 2000 Pro , perfect for that system .

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yoga's Avatar \ ( ^ 0 ^ ) / BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    i've heard ubuntu doesn't need activating but that might be just wishful thinking

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Key gens only produce a Product Installation code- the 25 digit alphanumeric key you enter during the install.
    This is not the same as "activating" Windows and AFAIK, no longer works.

If the disk you got with your new PC is an image as opposed to a full install it probably wouldn't work anyway...the hardware will be so different that it'll go crazy.

Your poor old Gateway would be terribly hardpressed to run XP even if you get it installed...why not just let it pass away in peace?
    I was able to install windows xp pro sp2 on the following system.

7 year old IBM aptiva
    AMD K-7 Processor 499 MHz
    S3 Intergrated IBM Graphics Card 2
    224 MB Ram
    15.8 GB Hard Drive
    Lite-On 52x CD Burner
    DVD Rom (Speed ?)

If the copy of your windows is a retail copy, i believe that microsoft has a way of detecting if two of the same windows files on two different computer are installed from the same windows cd (Unless its a corporate version?). I remember transferring a a file of windows from a new computer to an old computer, and being redirected to microsoft's website telling me i had done this, and said it was against TOS. Just go to torrentspy.com and download a copy from there.
    Last edited by Formula1; 08-01-2006 at 04:09 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga View Post
    i've heard ubuntu doesn't need activating but that might be just wishful thinking
    Lol ubuntu is open source so yeah, its free. The problem with it though is just installing stuff. I find it hard having to be "root" to install and having to type in a command to install but I guess I'm just spoiled.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiranai_Baka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoga View Post
    Lol ubuntu is open source so yeah, its free. The problem with it though is just installing stuff. I find it hard having to be "root" to install and having to type in a command to install but I guess I'm just spoiled.

Ya I got the joke too but was n't going to bite ........... Tanner31593 , has his hands full with XP .

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    ok yeah i agree its too old to run xp the way i want it to,
    the problem is windows 2000 is hard to come bye unless you buy it online and i want to spend as little money as possible,

and also,

on my other gateway computer (256mb ram, 10gb hd, celeron 533mhz),
    when i turn on the computer nothing displays on the screen,
    i know that the computer works,
    i open it up to put more memory in it,
    and when i try to turn it on nothing happens!

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Who said anything about paying for it . As for the Display problem read here :

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=123985

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Disks that come with a new computer are either restore disks (as has been said before), or are locked to the BIOS of the machine (Dell works only on Dell, etc.). Probability is high that you will not be able to install new disks on an old machine of a different brand.

BTW, XP Pro runs fine on my obsolete PII 266 MHz w/ 256 Mg ram. I disabled the unnecessary services to around 20. It isn't fast, but it does a lot of heavy lifting for an old machine. It is actually past the hand-me-down stage and I have it networked and set up outside on the back porch so I can surf with nature.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast