Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Issue

Zequabie's Avatar n00b
    Hi, I'm having a little problem with ram I bought. I had bought a PC2100 1GB 266MHz DDR Ram 184-pin Un-buffered, I have a ECS P4VMM2 P4 SKt 478 Motherboard (yea I know shitty) it is what is lol. But anyway before I got the new stick of ram I had (and still do) a PC2100 samsung 256MB in my system. Now the problem I'm havin is my system (bios) is telling me I only have 768MB of ram, When I really 1280MB in my system. It's been like this since I got it (about a month or two ago).
    Last edited by Zequabie; 08-04-2006 at 10:02 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    n00b
    Have you tried removing the 256MB stick? Often memory modules of different brands, specs or sizes don't work well together.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Zequabie's Avatar n00b
    Yea I had done that. I also tried switching slots (between it and the samsung) when I got it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    When you pull the 256 stick out of the box how much memory shows up? You might be better off just leaving the 256 stick out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Is the 256MB stick single sided, and the 1GB stick double sided by any chance? That combination is often the cause of these problems. If it shows 1GB with just that stick in, of course.

Of course, it is possible that the new stick simply got mislabelled and that you've been given a 512MB stick by mistake. It sometimes happens at the factory and no-one finds out until someone puts a stick into a machine.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Is the 256MB stick single sided, and the 1GB stick double sided by any chance? That combination is often the cause of these problems. If it shows 1GB with just that stick in, of course.

Of course, it is possible that the new stick simply got mislabelled and that you've been given a 512MB stick by mistake. It sometimes happens at the factory and no-one finds out until someone puts a stick into a machine.
    Pft...sure it sometimes happens by "accident"...
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedler View Post

Pft...sure it sometimes happens by "accident"...
    Think about it.

The people who are sticking the labels on probably can't tell the difference (I can't without looking them up on the manufacturer's website), so if someone accidentally picks up the wrong roll of labels then a lot of sticks get sold incorrectly. It's no big deal, they are easily traced and apart from the inconvenience no-one should lose out.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Zequabie's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by truetejas View Post
    When you pull the 256 stick out of the box how much memory shows up? You might be better off just leaving the 256 stick out.
    It shows 512MB when The 1GB mem-stick is in by itself.

The Samsung (256MB) one I have is double sided, and the other non-official (1GB) one is single sided.

Part of The stick and the label said 4x256 on the 1GB Mem-stick.
    Last edited by Zequabie; 08-03-2006 at 08:05 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    lynx's Avatar .
    Let us know what it says on one of the chips, and the number of chips. It should be possible to work out exactly what you've got from that info.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    What's up lynx? Haven't posted here in ages, just saying what's up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast