Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: restore disc

im tring to see if anyone can help me . my problem is that i have a legit restore disc that i got with my computer a year or so ago, but when i go to restore it to the factory settings it formats it, then installs it and when it gets to what should be the end it just freezes and doesnt do anything else. i have even left it on over night to see if it would finish but it just stays the same.i think its an corruted file because there is not one Scratch on the disc. i want to see if you guys know of a program or something to fix these disc, and be able to copy them to another disc with the key and everything like it is soppose to be. THANKS IN ADVANCE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Your explanation begs the question. Did you remove the disc, then reboot either normally or hard reboot?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    What other problems did you have with your setup pookie ? Did it just crash or you had a malware problem etc . I'm guessing its a proprietary system such as Dell or a Compaq.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I'm guessing your PC is 1-2 years or older. (newer off-the-shelf PCs will come with the "restore" disc located on a separate partition of your hard drive)

That being said, you may have a failing hard drive or faulty CD-Rom.

Trying a different optical drive is simple[and cheap] enough.

my .02¢

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by harrycary View Post
    Trying a different optical drive is simple[and cheap] enough.

my .02¢
    Don't forget the cable while you're in there.

Your PC should have the MS sticker on it w/ the 25 digit PID anyway.
    As long as you use your (valid) key you can use any (full, not another machine's "restore disk") version of XP Home(?) you want.
    Prepare for a phone call to MS for the activation.

Edit: You can also get another copy of the restore disk from the manufacturer.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    no ,i was not having any other problems i just wanted to do a fresh install. also after it would not complete i mess around and completly formatted the hard drive then i had to find someone with boot disc so that i could install an OS on the computer. when i got the OS on the computer i tried the restore disc again
    and it did the same thing. i have left it on ,i have hard booted with and with out the cd rom in the drive ,and also i have tried it in diffent drives. now i have OS xp pro but im tired of looking for cracks and patches when i have legit copy right here that been collecting dust for couple of months

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    when i use the key on the computer it will not take it. my dads is the same way his key did not work he called ms about it and they said he could buy another key, but he ended up calling hp and they sent him some restore disc because he was still under warranty. i bought mind from tiger direct and i dont have warranty . oh and he cant find his restore disc so i cant use his

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker, i think i use the update version of xp when i tried the key, the one that you need to already have an os on the computer . the same goes for my dad he used the same update version of xp with his key and it did not work. could this be the reason why the keys did not work

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    You mean upgrade. And mixing XP pro OS with XP home keys & vice versa won't work. Otherwise I'm having trouble with the explanation of your problem & description of how you're trying to solve it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    gjdunga's Avatar Upgrading to Azureus
    The other issue may be that if you've installed hardware in the system since you purchased it, the restore software may be looking for that "pattern" of hardware to prove that your system is valid for that image of software.. I'd wipe the drive. Remove all partitions, and remove any additional hardware you had in the system.. And try your restore attempt again.. If it fails again, contact the MFG and find out why thier Restore CD sucks bitter walnut shells.
    -----------------------------------------
    It's Worse than you Think.
    They are out to get you....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast