Thread: Packard Bell i-media 3054 mobo replacement

Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    I have someone's dysfunctional PB i-media 3054 here.

When I got it, as soon as power was supplied to the PSU, the fans started up but it didn't boot - no beeps and no hard drive activity.
    The monitor stayed blank (onboard video) although it didn't display a 'no signal' message either.
    The power button didn't turn it off either.
    I tried it on my monitor with the same result.
    A known good PSU didn't make any difference.
    Removed power switch and still the same, even shorting the connector pins.
    Removed RAM and modem card - no change, no beeps.
    Cleared CMOS and removed 'Save Mode' jumper (the 'recovery' position) and that cured the 'on when power supplied' problem. Power button now turns unit on but not off.
    Still no beeps, no video and no hard drive activity.
    Removed hard drive and had no problems running it in my own system where I can access all files & folders.

OK, the customer has been made aware that a new micro-ATX mobo is required for this Celeron D 2.5GHz to be transplanted into.
    I have the 'go-ahead'.

So, to my question (hi Clocker!)...
    I have an OEM WinXP disc to use with the serial that is on the system box.
    Has anyone had any nasty surprises with these things?
    Should I be aware of any odd happenings with the hidden partition or PB's installed programs?
    I'd like to just back up personal files/folders and reformat but I don't trust people to remember internet connection settings, email passwords or things like that so I'd rather repair-install the standard OEM version and leave the system pretty much as it is.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Hi! back atcha.
    I routinely perform repair installs on eMachines and Dells with no probs (usually).
    For some reason the success rate on Compaqs and HPs is not as high and we just don't see that many PBs or IBMs.
    If it doesn't work it doesn't work and oh well, what can you do?

I usually leave the "recovery partition" intact and don't see any conflicts with pre-installed programs. We have a pretty extensive collection of brand specific OEM disks though and that may help. I think (no real evidence to back this up) that by sticking to the exact replacement install you avoid the need to do a "phone in" activation... seems to activate over the net the majority of the time. Even using a Dell XP Home SP2 disk on a PC that was originally shipped with SP1 seems to trigger the "can't activate, must call" response and the resulting conversation with "Jason" in Bangalore.

You're absolutely right about the email passwords...it's amazing the number of people who haven't a clue what their username/password is since they saved it five years ago and have automatically signed on ever since.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    dont bother with PB

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Good Lord I'd forgotten about this thread.

The job's done (not long after your post, clocker) and it went smooth as you like.
    I had a nice surprise unpacking the ASRock P4i65G... a Celeron D 2.8 already in the socket. Customer got a free CPU upgrade too.

I was faffing around and missed the cd boot when I turned on the box so it started loading Windows. I thought I'd just let it see how far it could get and it went all the way to the login screen, no hassles.
    Of course, it needed re-activating before I could get any further but that was a 2 minute phone call and 10 minutes later the job's done.

I musta stepped in some dog crap or something.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008