Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop-age!

sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Yeah, I would go with second-hand too, then if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen during drunken revelry, its not such a loss...

Besides, I should imagine that as a student, every penny saved is a penny partied.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by sArA View Post
    ...if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen during drunken revelry, its not such a loss...

Besides, I should imagine that as a student, every penny saved is a penny partied.
    It's good to hear from the voice of experience.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sArA View Post
    ...if it gets damaged, lost, or stolen during drunken revelry, its not such a loss...

It's good to hear from the voice of experience.
    Yeah I watched my friend spill a cup of beer on his brand new power book last year, like less then a month after they came out. Fucked up like 4 keys on the keyboard but ended up getting it replaced for free.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    I watched a friend of my roommate spill a rum and coke on my high end laptop. the acid in the coke ate at the motherboard and killed it. it ran fine until about a week later, then it just died. tec support pretty much just laughed at me and the guy that did it disappeared soon afterwords. I still have it around because I am looking to build a laptop on a similar chassis and figure I might be able to use some parts.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    I watched a friend of my roommate spill a rum and coke on my high end laptop. the acid in the coke ate at the motherboard and killed it. it ran fine until about a week later, then it just died. tec support pretty much just laughed at me and the guy that did it disappeared soon afterwords. I still have it around because I am looking to build a laptop on a similar chassis and figure I might be able to use some parts.
    There's not enough acid in coke to cause any noticeable damage. Almost certainly it would be the sugar which was the culprit, and that would be true of most soft drinks.

It's often surprisingly easy to repair damage like that, as long as you don't wait for the failure situation. Most parts are more or less waterproof, so careful cleaning with a water and alcohol spray on the directly affected parts does the trick. Of course, in the case of a laptop it could be tricky working out what's affected and getting to them.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    There's not enough acid in coke to cause any noticeable damage. Almost certainly it would be the sugar which was the culprit, and that would be true of most soft drinks.

Yup, coke has an average pH level of 2.8-ish, even though it is acidic, it can't really kill your mobo the way you described it. It was probably the other chemicals that ate away at it or short cicuited it.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    and the guy that did it disappeared soon afterwords.

You killed him?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

It's often surprisingly easy to repair damage like that, as long as you don't wait for the failure situation. Most parts are more or less waterproof, so careful cleaning with a water and alcohol spray on the directly affected parts does the trick. Of course, in the case of a laptop it could be tricky working out what's affected and getting to them.
    the acid in the coke is what the tec support and a couple of people that looked at it said was the likely problem.

I tried to fix it actually. when it first happened, I removed the keyboard and cleaned it, however it appeared that the liquid had not gotten beyond that, so I didn't want to tear the whole laptop apart and risk breaking something when it appeared that there wasn't a problem. it worked for about a week after that and then it shut off as if the power had been pulled. after I got laughed at by tec service I tried to repair it and opened it up compleatly where I found the coke surup gunk on a couple of places, and cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol and put it back together and it still didn't work.

@ DanB- it was an accedent, I swear

actually he stopped by soon after the laptop died and I told him that tec service wasn't going to do squat and I was looking into other options, and he was all apaligetic and saying that he would pay for it and all and then when I went looking for him to pay up, I found out that he had dropped out and moved to washington.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    OK guys your job got harder, my budget got knocked to 700 ish, Dad says he doesn't want to spend much more, so it has a little flex.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Ok, bringing this back to lifer here. My dad is being a bit of a prick about this whole thing. He knows nothing about computers and he keeps trying to buy 600 shitty celeron laptops. I've tried a thousand times to explain to him the specs that matter and why, but the only thing he seems to retain is 1024 megagigs of memory.

I'm looking for something now in the range on like 750 to the low 900's. The closer it gets to a 1000 the more he starts moving to the next one in the line. He really seems to want me to have a warrenty on it too so thats why he wants the base price a little lower than I want. So if anyone spotted any good deals, in store only, let me know, and I'm gonna start looking at different models now and posting them here in case anyone has had any experience with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast