Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really DOS??

gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    CentOS 4.2
    Debain 3.1
    FreeBSD 5.4
    FreeBSD 6

I am wanting to rent a server for a while and these OS come with them. Apparently they load in DOS mode....is this true???
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    No, linux isn't DOS, and it doesn't load on DOS.
    Perhaps what you're trying to say is that they both uses command-line interface, where you type in commands via a console.
    If you're going to rent a server with linux loaded on, then yes, you'll have to login via SSH and type your commands using the command-line interface.

If you're new to the linux world, i'm sure you can figure it out with the `man` command.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Ah yes SSH but is it difficult to use? I mean i will be installing torrent software and stuff so i can become an uploader and seed at high speeds.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Hmm,
    That depends on how much you already know about linux, and how you are attempting to install the software (Are you going to compile the software you want to use from source? Or are you going to install re-made packages such as RPM, or `yum`?).
    It also depends on your linux distro. Fedora Core has `yum`, which is a small program which can install software you for without compiling them from scratch. I suggest researching on the different distros that will serve your need with as little work as possible.

If you are going to rent a server to seed through torrent, then I will assume that you won't have any GUI installed. In that case, there are a few torrent programs, such as ctorrent (You can find that by google or from sourceforge.org). However, you will need to compile that. I suggest doing some research on different types of bittorrent software available for console to see which one will work for you.

If you get stuck, there are a lot of resources out there on the web.

Good luck!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I'm using Debian etch on my seeding box, install bittornado with

Code:
    apt-get install bittornado
    I use btlaunchmany which is part of the bittornado package to seed the torrents, you just need to upload the torrent fitle & the file you want to seed to the server, btlaunchmany picks up the torrent and the data & starts seeding.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I would have gone for http://www.torrentflux.com/ gives you a nice gui to play with. still you will need php and mysql on your box to run it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    CentOS also has yum, As for a torrent client, rtorrent is cool.

Will need screen to keep it alive when you close the putty window. Easy to use, just do a google search. To install on centOS / Fedora.

Code:
    yum install rtorrent screen

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Another one you might have a look at is torrentflux or torrentlufx-b4rt:
    http://tf-b4rt.berlios.de/

It uses bittornado as backend by default and has a web interface :-)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Oh, so sticky.
    In Debian:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install apache mysql php
    Then download and configure Torrentflux.
    And if you prefer a GUI, you can just use these commands:

For GNOME:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome
    For KDE:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core kde
    apt-get install kdm
    Last edited by Kadmium; 11-19-2006 at 06:51 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadmium View Post
    In Debian:

And if you prefer a GUI, you can just use these commands:

For GNOME:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome
    For KDE:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core kde
    apt-get install kdm
    not exactly sure how he can access any desktop if he only has ssh access so i wouldn't bother installing either since its just gonna take up room.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast