Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nra And Kazaa

Michael Moore is probably a pathological liar, and even worse, he's probably a pathological liar with an agenda.
    Worse than that. "Bowling For Columbine" won an Oscar for Best Documentary. However, there is a possibility that the Oscar might be yanked and given to another nominee. It has been alleged that some of the scenes in the film, purported to be spontaneous, were staged ... removing it from the pure definition of what a documentary is supposed to be. He still has the Oscar for now. But he might not have it in the future. The vote is still out.

Having said that, and though I'm neither a gun-owner nor NRA member, I think that all law-abiding citizens should have a right to gun ownership ... with one proviso. Before owning a gun, it should be mandatory that a purchaser prove they've taken/passed an NRA-approved gun safety course (like the one I took via 4-H when I was younger). The idea of someone just walking in off the street and buying a gun without first having proof they know how to handle it is like the idea of allowing someone to just walk in off the street, buy a car, and drive it off the lot ... without having proof they have a license (and have gone through a driving test). There are responsible gun owners. But, sad to say, there are also dodos who's idea of proper gun ownership comes from watching too many Baretta or Kojak reruns on TV.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Poster
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@9 May 2003 - 12:45
    Michael Moore is probably a pathological liar, and even worse, he's probably a pathological liar with an agenda.
    Worse than that. "Bowling For Columbine" won an Oscar for Best Documentary. However, there is a possibility that the Oscar might be yanked and given to another nominee. It has been alleged that some of the scenes in the film, purported to be spontaneous, were staged ... removing it from the pure definition of what a documentary is supposed to be. He still has the Oscar for now. But he might not have it in the future. The vote is still out.
    You're right. Did everybody check out http://www.revoketheoscar.com? Write letters/email and complain that his fiction won best documentary!

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Could someone from all the ppl who say that guns are so good please explain me why countries with stricter laws have so much fewer shootings than for example the USA?

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

4. Lounge   -   #24
    Write letters/email and complain that his fiction won best documentary!
    I've already sent them email, not criticizing Moore's Oscar (since I don't know the facts, just the allegations), but telling them that an investigation is warranted. Since the allegations have been made, an investigation is the only way to remove the cloud hanging over the MPAA ... and the matter needs to be resolved, one way or another, before Oscar-time next year if the next ceremony is to have any credence. And, if the allegations are true, it is extremely unfair to the other documentarians nominated ... one of whom is truly deserving of the honor. This situation reminds me of the Winter Olympics where Tonya Harding made an appearance. She should never have been there ... and only admitted her involvement in the attack on Nancy Kerrigan after she returned from competition. It became an embarrasment to the United States and, worse, stole the honor of having the 3rd slot on the skating team from a very young Michelle Kwan (who just may have brought home the Gold).

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Poster
    Originally posted by OlderThanDirt@9 May 2003 - 13:17
    Write letters/email and complain that his fiction won best documentary!
    I've already sent them email, not criticizing Moore's Oscar (since I don't know the facts, just the allegations), but telling them that an investigation is warranted. Since the allegations have been made, an investigation is the only way to remove the cloud hanging over the MPAA ... and the matter needs to be resolved, one way or another, before Oscar-time next year if the next ceremony is to have any credence. And, if the allegations are true, it is extremely unfair to the other documentarians nominated ... one of whom is truly deserving of the honor. This situation reminds me of the Winter Olympics where Tonya Harding made an appearance. She should never have been there ... and only admitted her involvement in the attack on Nancy Kerrigan after she returned from competition. It became an embarrasment to the United States and, worse, stole the honor of having the 3rd slot on the skating team from a very young Michelle Kwan (who just may have brought home the Gold).
    I agree about the olympics. I always thought that it was fair, but that's been under a lot of doubt. What about the Russian judges?? Awarding 2 gold medals so they don't annoy either country??? Like David Letterman said "They've awarded everybody in the world a gold medal, so they don't annoy anybody"! LOL

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Benno wrote:

Could someone from all the ppl who say that guns are so good please explain me why countries with stricter laws have so much fewer shootings than for example the USA?
    Can you explain why Switzerland, where gun ownership is mandatory, has the lowest murder rate in the world (not counting the Vatican, hehe)? Can you explain why Canada's murder rate went up, not down, after they put in place the most Draconian anti-gun law they've ever had?

The answer is simply that the U.S.A. is a violent culture. Always has been. If we didn't have guns, we'd be stabbing each other (grin). True fact. What is the #1 choice of weapon by female murderers? Poison. Another true fact. What is one of the most prevalent causes of accidental death in men? Accidental poisoning. Think about that, hehehe, the next time your girlfriend/spouse hands you a beer.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    Originally posted by Benno@9 May 2003 - 13:10
    I'm not sure this fact is particularly true. It sounds like some kind of left-wing propaganda. I do know however that it is estimated that privately owned firearms in the USA are used to stop 2.5 Million (2,500,000) crimes each year (and that's only ones that get reported). So, assuming all firearms are outlawed and the criminals are the only ones with guns, there will be at lease 2.5 Million more crimes each year...

One other fact:
    When prohibition was the law of the land, people who wanted alcohol were forced to turn to violent mobsters to get their alcohol, thereby encouraging the homicidal mania.
    As of today a lot of violent crimes are being caused by drug dealers.
    Just like drugs and alcohol, gun purchaches will either support law abiding gun dealers, or the average homicidal maniac off the street.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    dave wrote:

One other fact:

When prohibition was the law of the land, people who wanted alcohol were forced to turn to violent mobsters to get their alcohol, thereby encouraging the homicidal mania.
    Far worse than that. Organized crime existed before prohibition ... but it was prohibition (and rum-running) that gave this criminal element the financial clout to create the modern-day Mafia. Had prohibition never taken place, we'd probably still have a Mafia ... but the power structure would not have been as formidible so quickly.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Right....let me get this straight....

the missile company was for non-violent civilian puposes??? wtf???

and i think some of you may be missing the point of the film...

not that gun ownership is neccessarily wrong but that the american government and society in general is badly fucked up!!

i dont know the ins on outs of the various arguements regarding the documentary, but are you trying to suggest that all of the people interviewed were actors or that the bizarre things that go on in America and are regarded as normality portrayed in the documentary were fabrications??

10. Lounge   -   #30
    oh...and about generating statistics out of thin air......

pot and kettle mean anything to you???

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast