Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulse

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Anyone seen the previews for this yet? Looks pretty creapy. Anyone else waiting for this one?

http://www.pulsethemovie.net/

yo

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    good2go38756's Avatar Thats Mr. nOOb
    The original is a great movie its a spin of "kairo"
    AKA: Pulse- I just hope the dont destroy the movie like they did "ju-on"(the Grudge)

Year: 2001
    Genre: Horror
    Format: DVD
    Running Time: 1H58
    Distributor: Pioneer
    Date reviewed: 12/10/2001

Producer: x
    Director: Kiyoshi Kurosawa

Cast: Haruhiko Katô, Kumiko Aso, Koyuki, Jun Fubuki, Shinji Takeda, Koji Yakusho

Story: Michi, a young girl who works in a botanist shop, discovers the body of one of her fellow co-workers. Strangely, the body leaves a big black mark were it was found. After that incident, some close friends of Michi will begin to act weird and a lot of strange disappearances and deaths begin to appear in Tokyo. All the bodies found also leave a black mark just like the one Michi found.

Meanwhile, Kawashima a young university student wants to know more about the Internet and decides to get a new PC. While he was trying to get the PC hooked to the Internet, he ended up on a strange internet web site asking him if he wanted to meet some ghosts. The web site will show him a lot of different web cams filming people who all look completely depressed and are asking for help. Kawashima have a strange feeling about this and decides to turn off the PC, but the PC begins to turn on by itself and always opens up on the weird internet page showing the strange web cams. Not really aware of what was going on, he decides to ask the help of Harue, a girl who works in the informatics department of the university. But at the same time, they both notice that a lot of people in Tokyo are reported missing.

Does the weird web site have any connection with all the strange events? What about the ghosts, do they really exist?
    Review: If I had to name one Japanese director who I think represents contemporary Japanese cinema at its best, I would said that Kyoshi Kurosawa is without a doubt the best Japanese director in Japan at this time. Using a very Japanese visual style but always adding his personal touch, every one of his movies turn out to something visually impressive and also very imaginative. But strangely, even if I know how good the new Kurosawa is, I usually don't like his movies that much, but It doesn't mean that I can't give him credit for what he had accomplish so far. Most of his movies always use a very basic premise, this one is no exception. But what is very special is that this ordinary event will end up affecting the whole of humanity. Kurosawa also seems to like to mix fantasy with reality in most of his movies, to a point that you are no longer sure what is the fantasy and what is the reality in his movie. I think that it is maybe the reason why some people might like his work a lot and other like me don't like his films that much. I didn't find "Kairo" completely boring, I even consider it his best work so far. I had a hard time to really appreciating the story because like most of his other movies, "Kairo" has a lot of meaning in it and there's also a lot of different interpretations to the movie. It's true that the movie will probably stay in your head a long time after you have watched it, in a good way of course, always trying to find some clear explanations to it but ending up not really sure of what to think of it.

The general atmosphere of the movie is very like the one in the movie "Ring" and they both share a story concept about ghost. Apparently, Kyoshi Kurosawa worked on the production of "Kairo" 7 years ago and was only able to finally complete his work this year. But it I can't deny the fact that "Ring" probably had some influences on the movie in a way or another. But at least "Kairo" succeeded where a lot of that type of movies failed miserably. "Kairo" is very easy to take as a serious psychological horror movie and a very creepy one, too. Combining a strange, dark and claustrophobic visual style with some creepy sounds and music, "Kairo" achieved its first goal for sure, to scare the shit out of people. Since the success of "Ring," a lot of movies tried the same recipe, but most of them were just plain rip-offs, but not Kairo, they both share some similarities, like the use of technologies to transmit a kind of curse, Ring used a VHS cassette and Kairo used computers. But even with that, both movies have their own original approach to the concept of ghosts.

On the casting side, the acting was very good and the actors really played their respective roles very well. But my biggest disappointment in the whole movie came from the characters, not because of the actors fault, on the contrary like I said their acting was very good but I had some really hard time really understanding their motivations. Some of their actions were just absurd, why would you go alone in a basement, which was apparently condemned, in the middle of nowhere, for no particular reason? Maybe there's some explanation to it but I didn't find all the answers yet and I will probably never. I think that the movie could have been better if the action of the characters were at least rational; I find it hard to really care for a character when you can't understand his irrational actions. Maybe the story could have been a little clearer on that side.

Since "Kairo" is a pure psychological thriller, don't expect any kind of gore, cause there's none, the fear factor really comes from the atmosphere of the movie. The visual details are very impressive and mixed with a very creepy music, most of the intense scenes in the movie work very well. The ghosts are also very frightening to watch, we can see them very clearly but just enough to give you the creeps when they are on the screen. Most of these great scary scenes are very well spread during the whole movie, so the scary factor is not only at the end of the movie. Also, talking about the end of the movie, without revealing any spoilers I really enjoyed the big finale when you finally understand more about what is really going on, it was a great surprise that I didn't expect at all.

"Kairo" is probably the best psychological horror movie since "Ring." They both share the same concept but are still totally different movies. Far from being an innocent fantasy and more that just an average thriller, "Kairo" has a lot of thing to offer to fans of ghost stories and psychological horror films. The fact that the movie will probably be never completely clear for anyone might turn off a few people, but I would say that If you like movies who make you think about it after the watching, you should really not miss "Kairo." THIS REVIEW IS FROM kfcCINEMA
    Last edited by good2go38756; 08-11-2006 at 07:31 PM.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    @good2go38756: Sounds like a film to grab, I do enjoy my Asian horror. Let us hope the remake doesn't suck as hard as usual.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Yeah the biggest let down was the "Dark Water" remake it was bad............................BUT the W O R S T remake will be when MTV remakes "Battle Royale", that will be so diff. then the orig. BATTLE ROYALE

Year: 2000
    Genre: Action / Horror
    Running Time: 1H54
    Distributor: Universe Laser & Video CO.
    Date reviewed: 10/08/2001

Producer: Kinji Fukasaku
    Director: Kinji Fukasaku

Cast: Tatsuya Fujiwara, Aki Maeda, Taro Yamamoto, asanobu Ando, Kou Shibasaki, Chiaki Kuriyama, Takeshi Kitano, Yûko Miyamura

Story: Some time in the new millennium Japan falls into economical decay, mass unemployment reigns in the country. With no clear future available, the student no longer respect school, violence increases due to riots and many students drop out of school. With the chaotic situation the government enacts the Battle Royale act, which consists of selected one of the poorest performing classes and sending off to an island where they must fight for survival and only one student can leave alive. The students have 3 days to complete the game or everyone dies due to explosive devices on their necks, they are given random weapons and the only rules to follow is avoid the danger zone and don't cause any trouble or the army will kill them. Mistrust, fear and hate run rampant and chaos spread among the students and they soon give in to the fight for survival.
    Review: Several months ago a movie unlike any other hits theatres in Japan, everyone is talking about it, the public is shocked, the government wants to intervene and to ban it. It did not take long till word hit North America and curiosity was piqued. The supposed film was called Battle Royale and the movie had students fight to the death on a desert island, an orgy of violence depicted teenagers as the murderers. The reviews were all in agreements that this was easily the movie of the century. After several months of waiting a DVD version of decent quality was released, but is this movie level up to the hype we have previously heard? We have been used to the fact that hype was often only hype and nothing real to back it up, we tried to have no expectation when watching this movie. After watching BR we were very satisfied with the movie, a very entertaining movie with a high shock factor and a lot of deep meaning behind the violence.

The story starts off on an immoral edge, simple to follow and keeps surprises to a minimum and most importantly gives you time to better understand the characters. Overall this is a very entertaining experience and very interesting to follow, there is only a slight detail slight hole in the story near the end but we wont mention any spoilers. The movie is taken from a manga, it is most probably that the producer cut out certain things from the movie version but in general the story holds together very well and there aren't any real slow moments.

The fact that the cast that is about to kill each other are all teenagers is a shocking factor. The ways the kids kill each other can be pretty brutal from a knife to an uzi or a crossbow, all for the fight of survival. This is the real reason for the controversy around the movie is that fact that kids killing kids, in North America with all the school shootings this is an especially touchy subject. If this movie was the fight of survival between adults instead, we don't think it would have generated as movie hype. There are about 30 students thrown onto the island but the story focuses mostly 5 or 6 students and we follow their fight for survival from start to finish. The acting is great and their emotions are really visible, the context is easily understandable, what if you were stuck there and you have to kill classmates and friends alike for your own survival. As for Kitano he still remains the king, each of his appearances on screen are striking and memorable.

It is true that violence has an important place in BR but to say that the violence is shocking and hard to watch is totally false. There is nothing new or extreme when it comes to violence in BR, what is shocking about the violence is who is doing it and to who. Having innocent students forced into a situation where they must kill each other is the troubling part of the movie. Fans of violence should enjoy this movie if you don't expect splattering guts every 5 minutes else you might be really disappointed.

Violence might have a strong place in this movie but there is one thing to know it is far from being senseless violence as most people have said. Not everyone may perceive this movie in this fashion but we find there are several strong messages in the movie, certain reflections of society or human nature, this is a movie with a point to it. This movie makes brutal and dark references of the incomprehensible moments of everyday life such as fear, shyness, deception, love, jealousy, humiliation and helplessness. In this extreme situation the characters have a way out from these trivial matters and make the better of themselves and maybe become or say what they really always wanted to or to come face to face with an enemy they must fight or be killed.

In conclusion Battle Royale has far more to offer than a orgy of blood and senseless violence as some would say. Some may not like this movie while others will completely adore it but one thing is certain this is a movie that will not be forgotten. If you like Japanese cinema which is not scared of showing true violence with the emotions that go along with it, then you will probably enjoy this one. If you are looking for a movie with shocking action you can give BR a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised and for sure entertained. Oh! and just for Kitano`s fans, this movie is worth it........................................................................................................................If you have never seen this find it watch it then search for part 2, as well as Ichi the Killer and R-point,versus..........i could go on and on about asian horror but that should be its own thread .......................................Oh yeah review from came from kfcCINEMA
    Last edited by good2go38756; 08-11-2006 at 07:49 PM.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Hey cheese here is a link to "kairo" enjoy http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/424515/7025455/
    ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO-YOU-SPEAK-IT?

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by good2go38756 View Post
    Hey cheese here is a link to "kairo" enjoy http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/424515/7025455/
    Cheers dude, I looked for this on Newsgroups but to no avail. Now downloading.

I wonder how watered down an American-made BR would be, given all the objections that will be raised because of Columbine and the like. I mean, you can't have a film about school children killing each other, gosh no.

Ichi the Killer and R-point,versus
    I've seen Ichi (), I have Versus (somewhere) but I'll keep an eye out for the other one.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Here you go cheese http://www.fantasticsuperclub.org/fo...347&hl=r+point R-Point

Year: 2004
    Genre: Horror
    Running Time: 1H47
    Distributor: Cinema Service
    Date reviewed: 08/09/05

Producer: Kang-hyeok Choi
    Director: Su-chang Kong

Cast: Woo-seong Kam, Byung-ho Son, Tae-kyung Oh, Won-sang Park

Story: A long-lost unit of Korean soldiers fighting in the Vietnam war dispatches a distress signal six months after everybody considered them dead. A squad of nine men is sent to investigate the situation, especially since the call came from a non-combat area. They come to the R-Point area, and in the midst of a vast field they discover a solitary mansion, empty and dilapidated. The area of a massive burial ground was considered sacred by the Vietnamese, and an inscription on the stone says that no one who’s got blood on their hands will leave the spot. But – they are soldiers, of course their hands are bloody. And that’s a good starting point for a lot of spooky, scary and gory going-ons…
    Review: xWar is horror. It’s a truism, I know, but it’s still a good starting point to discuss this particular scary flick, since it takes a real-life fact (Korean involvement in Vietnam) as the background for its fictional, supernatural horrors. Horror is a genre in which one can, if so inclined, deal with serious social, moral and even metaphysical issues in an unpretentious, inobtrusive way. The imagery at hand is at the same time visceral and universal enough so that widest ranges of people from different times and places can relate to the archetypal motifs of this genre. Still, surprisingly few horror films ever tried to use a real war as their background, and among those only one (JACOB’S LADDER) can be called excellent and one (DEATHWATCH) is very good. The rest are forgettable.

Where does R-POINT stand in this small sub-genre? In short, its potentials, together with the qualities of its first half, make it very close to JACOB, but its somewhat confusing second half brings it closer to DEATHWATCH. The result is a schizophrenic mixture of higher goals and not-so-special ultimate achievement. Pretty soon it becomes obvious that the film’s real interest does not lie with the characters (sketched, but never fully developed), drama (thin and existent only in traces) or ideas. For example: the leader of this unit, and the film’s protagonist, is notorious for having most of his previous units killed in action – yet nothing much is made of his personal demons, or anyone else’s for that matter. The idea of ‘having blood on one’s hands’ is left unexplored, like a cliché curse from some minor ‘thou-shalt-not-steal-from-the-mummy’s-tomb’ flick. This is sad, since one of the opening scenes, in which the soldiers destroy a sniper only to find a Vietnamese girl behind the gun, is reminiscent of the FULL METAL JACKET’s climax. The emotional resonance of the horrors of war is very soon left behind, and more conventional horrors of supernatural kind become dominant.

This, in itself, is not too bad. R-POINT would’ve been a whole lot better if at least it had exploited its spook potential to the maximum. This, however, is not the case. Which, is a pity, since the premise is good and original, the setting pretty much unexplored, and a lot of the scary sequences actually work. They are treated as witty and effective set-pieces: in isolation, they range from OK to very good and powerful ones. Nonetheless, they just don’t add up to any coherent and powerful whole. Too many good ideas are thrown in, glued together by plot holes and underdeveloped ‘mystery’. There is a difference between ‘subtle suggestion’ and ‘lazy plotting’, and I’m afraid R-POINT’s script can be blamed for the latter. R-Point of the title seems to be the site of some previous massacre: yet, we never learn anything about it, and the notion of concentrated mass of ghosts hungry for vengeance is never fully explored. My heart is weeping at the wasted potential of this: just imagine dozens of ghosts rising and doing what they do best in such a fine set-up. Instead, we’re treated to a single, trite ‘long-black-haired-ghostgirl-in-white’ – and even she does not do much. She seems to be the guardian-ghost of the R-Point (she’s the same as the sniper girl shot in the beginning) – but if that is so, it’s not clear how come she was so material behind the gun, how come she was bleeding? There are also ghosts of American soldiers (used in one very nice scene - and then forgotten) and ghosts of French soldiers (used similarly), but none of them ever do much for the whole. Considering the amount of solid ideas and gimmicks, perhaps R-POINT would’ve worked better as a TV-series in which every episode is devoted to one particular kind of presence haunting the same premises but different units of soldiers. As it is, in a single film that R-POINT is, the ghosts, ideas, potentials, gimmicks and set-pieces are overcrowded to the point of standing in one another’s way and subtracting from the film instead of adding to it.

What works in the film is very, very good: the huge decayed mansion is a masterpiece of production design, and the same goes for the temple, graveyard, and even the spooky old radio. The photography is excellent and provides numerous powerful images and an unforgettable atmosphere (further enhanced by a very fine score and elaborate sound effects). Unfortunately, the script’s lack of ambition, together with its inconsistencies, bogs it down from a potentially great horror film to merely a solid, occasionally scary but ultimately empty and underwhelming one. Need i say it review from kfcCINEMA...................If you do like this FOR SURE look for "deathwatch" and "THE BUNKER"................also a movie just came out called "HORRORS OF WAR " its a little low budget but its a cool movie if you like this genre. These are not asian but are great films---enjoy
    Last edited by good2go38756; 08-13-2006 at 03:35 AM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    here you go cheese "deathwatch" http://www.torrentspy.com/torrent/61...XviD_1CD_ORBiT

Plot Summary for
    Deathwatch (2002)
    In the middle of World War I, nine British soldiers caught behind enemy lines seek refuge in a complex network of German trenches. What they soon discover is that they aren't alone...and it isn't a German soldier that's hunting them down.

Summary written by Cella Fella

HORRORS OF WAR http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/401602/2810182/
    Horrors of War (2006)
    Feeling the pressure from Allied advance, Hitler unleashes his secret weapons giving rise to a type of warfare the world has never seen. Throughout the European theater of WWII, Lieutenant John Schmidt comes face to face with these "weapons." The Office of Strategic Services (O.S.S., precursor to the C.I.A.) initiates missions behind enemy lines to find the source of the weapons terrorizing U.S. soldiers fighting the Third Reich. Schmidt is joined by Captain Joe Russo and his group of war-hardened GIs who have experienced for themselves the all-too-real horrors of war in battle. Together, they must find and destroy Hitler's horde of nightmare weapons before his horrific vision can be fully realized.

Summary written by Philip R. Garrett

THE BUNKER http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3249775/...vil_withinPlot Summary for The Bunker (2001)
    Seven German soldiers are enclosed in one bunker during the Second World War. They soon feel surrounded by enemies. When they hear about the tunnel-system beneath the bunker and some mystic events that had occurred in this place, they soon begin to go mad...

Summary written by Benjamin Stello
    Also just thought of this one DEAD BIRDS http://filesoup.co.uk/forum/index.ph...&hl=dead+birds

Plot Summary for
    Dead Birds (2004)
    In Civil War America, a band of confederate outlaws take refuge in an abandoned plantation. Led by William (Henry Thomas), they plan to rob a bank that is temporarily storing a cache of Confederate gold. The rest of the group includes Sam (Patrick Fugit), Todd (Isaiah Washington), Annabelle (Nicki Aycox), Clyde (Michael Shannon) and Joseph (Mark Boone Junior). But when the robbery results in a bloodbath, the six flee the town, aiming for Mexico. Threat of an impending thunderstorm makes the outlaws take shelter at a nearby isolated and presumed deserted plantation house. As the night wears on, each member of the group begins to have visions of the atrocities that occurred within the house. As the fear in the group begins to grow and the supernatural forces in the house start to manifest themselves, the six turn on each other and exact the wrath of the souls trapped alongside them.
    Last edited by good2go38756; 08-13-2006 at 08:10 AM.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Necrophag's Avatar Hell no
    Looks good and will watch just not liking these "PG-13" style horrors
    " When you enter a room full of armed men
    shoot the first person who makes a move, hostile or otherwise.
    He has started to think and is therefore dangerous..."

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    just got done watching this one (usa ver) and i thought it was pretty good. i kinda figured it wouldn't be that good and the story sounds kinda lame. it's been done be4 i believe. dead ppl cummin' thru ur tv's, phone's & pc's... all-in-all i liked it, but the ending kind of leaves u hanging.

Spoiler: Show
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast