Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fking basements

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene View Post
    The masses of rainfall we've had lately has once again flooded the basement, but being preoccupied with other things I forgot to check, went down there and a good 5 inches of water covering the ground so I kicked the pump (cos it doesn't work til you kick it) and drained the water out, now all I can smell is damp/musky/yucky smells coming up through the heating vents. I've been down there and nearly emptied a bottle of febreeze but the damp smell is overpowering it.

Any ideas?

Also just to top it off, 95% of the time I can't smell anything , prolly due to smoking, but you bet when there's a bad smell I can smell it

Jonno
    I had that happen...once. The power went out, there was a hard rain for a long time then I had about an inch of water. I lost some comic book TPBs (well..they got wet). Thank goodness they weren't the original comics and thank goodness my basement is unfinished.

I'm going to get a generator soon so I don't have that problem. It'll be enough for my deep freezer, refrigerator, sump pump, fan/space heater, and a light (possibly). I suggest you get one. They are good for other shit too.

You need at least 5500 watts to be effective for the things I named above.
    I might even get an outside enclosure (with concrete base) so I can leave it right out back all the time locked up.

Well, sure, lights and generators are good things to have...if the power goes out.

Neither does much for odors, though.

Clean up the wet cardboard, Jonno, and scrub the floor and walls up past your high-water line.

Finish up (as Busyman says) with about a five-to-one bleach solution sprayed over everywhere you scrubbed.

Finally, save future worries with a new sump-pump that'll run when it's supposed to and and save wear-and-tear on your foot.

You can generally get a standard-duty 1/3hp pump for about $30, but I'd spend about $50 and get a little better model.

The fact you knew it had to be kick-started indicates either your total mechanical sloth, or that Nikki is to much for you and won't let you out of the rack long enough to do what needs to be done; if you can't handle that part of the equation, perhaps we could arrange some help for you.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4

Well, sure, lights and generators are good things to have...if the power goes out.

Neither does much for odors, though.

Clean up the wet cardboard, Jonno, and scrub the floor and walls up past your high-water line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    @Jonno - mop your floor and clean where your floor meats your walls with diluted bleach and wear a face mask. If you don't, you may get some nasty mold that'll fuck your respiratory system up and give you teh atthesma.

Plus the cardboard should be thrown out if possible. It has spot inside it that easily harbor mold. It's the mold that he may not see, ya see?

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    This all seems like too much work, I'm going back to bed and see what I can do from there

Jonno

4. Lounge   -   #14
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Jonno, quit boinking your life away and just raise the house up on cinderblocks...basement and all.
    Drainage problem solved and the neighbors will appreciate the architectural diversity.

The view from the upstairs bathroom will improve as well.

It's a win-win solution.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Lounge   -   #15
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    It's only a rental!!

The sump pump used to work fine, it's just started this turning off and on thing this past few months.

Jon and boy can clean it up this week.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    @Jonno - mop your floor and clean where your floor meats your walls with diluted bleach and wear a face mask. If you don't, you may get some nasty mold that'll fuck your respiratory system up and give you teh atthesma.

Plus the cardboard should be thrown out if possible. It has spot inside it that easily harbor mold. It's the mold that he may not see, ya see?
    Well, it took you two posts to spit that out, FFS.

I hereby offer retroactive attribution to Busyman so he doesn't start sobbing.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiD View Post
    It's only a rental!!

The sump pump used to work fine, it's just started this turning off and on thing this past few months.

Jon and boy can clean it up this week.
    A workable plan, fact.

Attagirl, Nikki.

BTW-

Get a new pump anyway, and bill the landlord.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    NikkiD's Avatar Yen?
    Actually I've decided it would be a much better idea if I let Jon play his game while I go and clean it all up. Then maybe come back upstairs and give him an oily massage.

NikkiD

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Well, it took you two posts to spit that out, FFS.

I hereby offer retroactive attribution to Busyman so he doesn't start sobbing.
    So you're saying your eyes are fecked? Coowol.

Waaaahhhhhh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12