Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fking basements

Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    The masses of rainfall we've had lately has once again flooded the basement, but being preoccupied with other things I forgot to check, went down there and a good 5 inches of water covering the ground so I kicked the pump (cos it doesn't work til you kick it) and drained the water out, now all I can smell is damp/musky/yucky smells coming up through the heating vents. I've been down there and nearly emptied a bottle of febreeze but the damp smell is overpowering it.

Any ideas?

Also just to top it off, 95% of the time I can't smell anything , prolly due to smoking, but you bet when there's a bad smell I can smell it

Jonno

2. Lounge   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon L. Obscene View Post
    Any ideas?
    Yes.

Remember to check next time.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The masses of rainfall we've had lately has once again flooded the basement, but being preoccupied with other things I forgot to check, went down there and a good 5 inches of water covering the ground so I kicked the pump (cos it doesn't work til you kick it) and drained the water out, now all I can smell is damp/musky/yucky smells coming up through the heating vents. I've been down there and nearly emptied a bottle of febreeze but the damp smell is overpowering it.

Any ideas?

Also just to top it off, 95% of the time I can't smell anything , prolly due to smoking, but you bet when there's a bad smell I can smell it

Jonno
    Is it a sump-style pump?

Concrete floor?

Dirt floor?

Details, Jonno...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #4
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Wey-hey.

Can I be the first to say that you're a kept man and that stuff like that should have been nipped in the bud ages ago.

Jonno, you've failed at being a failure.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Jon L. Obscene's Avatar Canadain potatoes!!!
    @J2 ...

Well yes it's a sump pump.
    Concrete floor.
    Lots of soggy cardboard.

@Manker...... You're gonna have to rephrase that cos I'm not entirely sure of anything you just said
    But I'm sure even in my failed state the sex makes up for it

Jonno

6. Lounge   -   #6
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Bless, it's like Pretty Woman, except the part Julia Roberts played is being done by Jonno.

I have to be honest, tho' - if it was me that was keeping a woman, she'd have to be damned good at sex to make up for being worthless in every other sense.

I don't think that makes me a bad person, does it.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!

Any ideas?

Jonno
    I had that happen...once. The power went out, there was a hard rain for a long time then I had about an inch of water. I lost some comic book TPBs (well..they got wet). Thank goodness they weren't the original comics and thank goodness my basement is unfinished.

I'm going to get a generator soon so I don't have that problem. It'll be enough for my deep freezer, refrigerator, sump pump, fan/space heater, and a light (possibly). I suggest you get one. They are good for other shit too.

You need at least 5500 watts to be effective for the things I named above.
    I might even get an outside enclosure (with concrete base) so I can leave it right out back all the time locked up.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Yeah, I suggest other people get a light too, I cannae do without one.

There's no possibly about it, get a light. Now!

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post

Not to piggyback on what thumby said but yeah, people should have a light and whatnot.

It illuminates stuff.

@Jonno - mop your floor and clean where your floor meats your walls with diluted bleach and wear a face mask. If you don't, you may get some nasty mold that'll fuck your respiratory system up and give you teh atthesma.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 08-12-2006 at 12:16 AM.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post

Not to piggyback on what thumby said but yeah, people should have a light and whatnot.

It illuminates stuff.

@Jonno - mop your floor and clean where your floor meats your walls with diluted bleach and wear a face mask. If you don't, you may get some nasty mold that'll fuck your respiratory system up and give you teh atthesma.
    Look, I'm only asking because I'm curious - is that American humour?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast