Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer slow

hello
    my computer is real slow..is there any soft ware i can download to make it fast

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Try firest to scan it from viruses and spyware

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    spenz's Avatar Friendly guy BT Rep: +5
    what is the spec of your computer? If it's still in pentium II and you are using windows as your OS then, apparently it's really slow. You can try linux as your OS. That should speed things up.^_^

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    n00b BT Rep: +1
    Like drxmsa said, scan your computer for viruses and malware, usually those hog up lots of resources and slow down your computer. If nothing back up all your stuff and reformat your hardrive and install Windows again.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Try to defrag your hard drive. Use Diskeeper, really nice prog

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Also how long has it been since you formatted because if its been years then that is the only way you gonna get it back in top shape.I do it at least once a year just for the sake of speeding shit up.

For a regcleaner i suggest downloading jv16 powertools its a great program also crapcleaner which is free.
    Last edited by deuce6000; 08-12-2006 at 11:57 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    rrrank BT Rep: +3
    1) Scan for viruses.

2) Download AdAware and Spybot: Search & Destroy, Scan for Spyware

3) Download Regcleaner

4) Install regcleaner, remove any unnecessary startup items, then proceed to delete any unneeded registry keys.

5) Uninstall any unwanted software.

6) Defragment (something other than the Windows utility)

7) Remove unwanted services, this can be done by clicking start->run->services.msc

Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    Also how long has it been since you formatted because if its been years then that is the only way you gonna get it back in top shape.I do it at least once a year just for the sake of speeding shit up.
    ^ Good point

Also... trashing your computer with magic all-in-one software won't do much good.
    Last edited by extremepilot; 08-12-2006 at 11:58 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Download NOD32 from eset.com, it's the same antivirus that Microsoft Corp uses to protect its systems. What does that tell you?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by extremepilot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by deuce6000 View Post
    ^ Good point
    Wrong. To say formatting is the only way to restore speed and functionality is absolute rubbish.
    Perhaps some people may need to format their systems to get them back to normal but those of us that know what they're doing don't.

When you wipe your system and start again, installing Windows is only the first step in a PITA process.
    Applications need to be installed and configured again, not to mention being registered as well; Windows will need to be configured to look and run the way you like it; email programs need their settings set and emails have to be restored; all those passwords to websites will need to be remembered too. Even if you have a slipstreamed XP SP2 disc there's tens (possibly hundreds) of megabytes of updates waiting to be downloaded.

Formatting a hard drive is a last resort, not a quick fix. It's hardly ever necessary, too.

As for the original poster's problems, here's the software I'd recommend installing and using, in the order you should use them...
    • Kaspersky Antivirus (or Internet Security) v6 or NOD32 - run a full system scan and remove all threats
    • Spybot Search & Destroy - first update to the latest detections, then use the "immunize" feature and then perform a full system scan. Also, in the Tools section available in Advanced mode, add Spybot's list of nasty sites to the Windows Hosts file.
    • Lavasoft AdAware - change settings to scan within archives and then perform a full system scan
    • XoftSpy - update and run the system scan. It'll need to be registered before it'll delete what it finds
    • CCleaner - to remove any old junk such as temporary files and cache
    • AceUtilities - or indeed any other respected registry cleaner. Scan the registry for errors and unneeded entries
    • Hijackthis - scan the system and post the results here
    Last edited by Chewie; 08-13-2006 at 12:34 PM.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I'd add Spywareblaster to the list of programs to get. It doesn't get rid of spyware but prevents it from being installed, similar to Spybots immunize.
    If he has a newer computer with thermal speed throttling, he may want to blow out the dust from the heatsinks with some compressed air, especially if he smokes around the computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast