Thread: MBR 3 Error, and associated problem!

Hi Guys.

I have developed an MBR 3 error on boot up, and have of course Googled it and got many answers....none of which I really understand. (Old age I guess)
    Had the idea to use my XP disk to "Repair" and see if that did anything. Problem is that it doesnt accept the Admin password that I have.
    When I go to Control Panel - Users, it just shows Ken (Administrator) which is fine and there it accepts my password. It just doesnt show any other Administrator and it wont accept that same password when booting from the cd and trying to use the repair function.
    Its just got to be something I am doing as usual, but no idea where to go now.
    Many thanks as always.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    There's a hidden account adtually named Administrator that has all priveleges although your Ken account should have the same.

I trust that you're talking about using the Recovery Console to repair the installation?
    There is a simpler way to do it - a Repair Install.
    Boot from the XP CD and at the first prompt tell it you want to install Windows (don't choose the Repair using the Recovery Console option), then hit F8 at the EULA.
    Setup will then check the system for previous installations and should find the one you already have. At this point, you should highlight the installation it shows you and continue. Setup will ask you if you want to install fresh or try to repair the installation - hit 'R' to repair and it should fix it up for you.

If Setup doesn't find your installation or doesn't offer to repair it then you'll need to quit Setup and try and back up your files before installing fresh.
    Best way to do this would be a 'PE' or 'Live' disc - a bootable CD with tools to allow you to back up files. Barts PE is very good; I use it myself often.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    BartPE is a wonderful tool, I recommend it highly.

You can get all the info and download here...http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Essentially you will be creating a Live bootable CD that uses Windows components.(so you will need a WinXP CD)

You then boot from this CD(change the boot order in the BIOS) and enter a Windows-type environment in which you can back-up/burn your files.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Guys, many thanks for the great help.

Chewie, could you please tell me how to find this hidden Admin A/c so that I can try to use that. I am trying Bart PE now.

Harry. Thanks for the link and help. I will report back when I have tried it.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    gjdunga's Avatar Upgrading to Azureus
    Kenny,

Rather than useing the username of ken, you would type Administrator..

Are you using XP HOME or XP PRO?? Also while in the recovery console, you could do the following.

Boot from Win XP Cd ( you will get setup inspecting hardware configuration)
    Will come to screen to setup or repair existing install press R to enter recovery console
    You will be asked to choose install to repair enter number and you will get prompt for admin password followed by C:WINDOWS>
    at this point type FIXMBR \Device\HardDisk0 <Enter> { What Ever Hard Drive it shows when you login with the recovery console. }
    Followed by FIXBOOT X: <Enter> { What ever Drive it is you boot from}

If that dosen't work.. Bart's PE Is da BOMB.. There again so is spinrite if your having actual HDD Issues..
    Last edited by gjdunga; 08-19-2006 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Adding PE. Spinrite & Disk Error Stuff.
    -----------------------------------------
    It's Worse than you Think.
    They are out to get you....

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyboy View Post
    Guys, many thanks for the great help.

Chewie, could you please tell me how to find this hidden Admin A/c so that I can try to use that. I am trying Bart PE now.
    See gjdunga's post above.

I believe Bart's PE has tools for fixing MBR problems although I haven't got a machine here I can test it on unless I reboot this machine... not gonna happen
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Hi again.

Some good news, some not so good!

Chewie. Of course you were right. There was a hidden Admin account which doesnt show up in Control Panel. Dont quite understand how, but I have now got it to accept the password. So, using that I followed gjdunga's advice.

gjdunga, Many thanks for that. Nearly worked too, but when I typed the FIXMBR bit, it gave the message something like, "if I continue, I am LIKELY to lose access to all partitions" As I have Data on 1 and Apps on another I think I will back-up this stuff to DVD before I let it proceed.
    I am running XP Corp by the way.

Had an idea to let Partition Magic have a look at the disk, and sure enough it reports "MBR Partition Table not in sequential order." on C:

By the way, I got the BartPE disk to run ok, but couldnt actually see anything to get excited about. I am sure it is great, but I just dont know enough I think. Learning all the time.
    Will report back again with news.
    Thanks to all again.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    gjdunga's Avatar Upgrading to Azureus
    Kenny. That error message is boiler type. Unless your running some wierd ass 144 cluster size parition or a linux paritition on that drive, you'd have nothing to fear.. It's M$'s way of saying we love you, don't sue us..

GD
    -----------------------------------------
    It's Worse than you Think.
    They are out to get you....