Thread: Wga

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Recently we have seen several PCs come in with the notification from MS that "You may be a victim of counterfeiting...blah, blah, blah."
    Without exception these PCs have all been completely legal, tier 1 and 2 boxes...Dells, eMachines, etc.
    So I've been spending more time than normal on the phone with MS.
    It's a PITA granted, but the process is usually painless and successful.
    Till yesterday.

I finally had one the nightmare transactions that are so widely reported but, till now, never actually experienced first hand.

* We'll be starting halfway through the ordeal...I have already read the zillion digit installation code to the computer and been rejected.
    I've already waited on hold for "Jason"/"Mary"/"Bob" and repeated the same zillion digits to her.
    I've answered the ritual "how many machines has this been installed on?", etc. and we are now at the point where she's generated a new install key for me...

Microsoft:I will now read off the first six digits for Box A.

Me: Hit me, baby!

MS: 765432, now, on to Box B...1234567

Me: Um, a message box appeared. It says "Data entered in last field is invalid".
    I've never seen such a warning...please repeat the last six digits.

MS: I'll start at the beginning...

Me: No! You don't have to start at the beginning.
    Just give me Box B again.

MS: I'll start at the beginning....(which she does and now we're back to Box B)...the six digits for Box B are 9999999.

Me: Erm....that's not even remotely close to the numbers you gave me the first time...

MS: I'll start at the beginning...( here I bow to the inevitable)...the digits for Box B are "$%#&^*.

Me: OK, go on.

MS: I'll start at the beginning...
    *sigh*....

This exact same scenario plays out for the next 4 data fields...there is now but one last box to fill...

MS: Now, click on next.

Me: Ahhh, wait a second.
    I still need the rest of the numbers...there is one box left to fill.

MS: I will start at the beginning....

Long pause and then...hold music!
    She put me on hold???!!!

.... I get cut off completely.

It was surreal (frighteningly so, at first) and ultimately quite amusing.
    A complete and total meltdown of the "customer experience".

Back on the phone...1-888-etc, and this time the nice female computer lady validates my install and gives me the new code.

I have no idea what happened and am almost looking forward to my next transaction with the wild and crazy folks at MS.
    It really made my day.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    n00b BT Rep: +1
    Hahahhaha thats a great story

I love customer service it always make me laugh, no matter for what product it is. I usually had to call my ISP, because I needed details to configure my router. And the people there were completely useless, it was funny though, during one conversation I just burst out laughing, I had to hang up

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    nostalgia's Avatar Frequent visitor
    Well, sorry to say but that was very entertaining to read, although I hope I'll never have to contact MS.
    Places the phrase Customer service in a total new perspective.
    -- They tell me tomorrow will never arrive, but I've seen it end a million times. --

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    rolf.
    I have heard of people having trouble with WGA not liking completely legit installs before but never a problem with MS validation
    Apart from one time I repair installed XP Home Full on the wife's machine and wondered why it wouldn't validate until after the MS call when it dawned on me that hers was actually an OEM install. That was my own stupid fault, though.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    yep clocker, I know what you mean, I once spent two hours on each of two different days to get the code to get my only ever legit copy of windows to work. I ended up having to threaten and complain and in the end, I got transfered for free to the people that actually know what they are duing and thus are suppose to charge for their calls.

Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post

I love customer service it always make me laugh, no matter for what product it is. I usually had to call my ISP, because I needed details to configure my router. And the people there were completely useless, it was funny though, during one conversation I just burst out laughing, I had to hang up
    when I was looking to get internet hooked up in my apartment, I was calling a bunch of companys and asking some questions about their internet, and frequently got told "I'm going to transfer you to tec support, becuase you apparently know more about it than me"
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    So far today I've taken in two more machines with the same problem.
    Not sure what is going on.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempestv View Post
    yep clocker, I know what you mean, I once spent two hours on each of two different days to get the code to get my only ever legit copy of windows to work. I ended up having to threaten and complain and in the end, I got transfered for free to the people that actually know what they are duing and thus are suppose to charge for their calls.

Quote Originally Posted by dml View Post

when I was looking to get internet hooked up in my apartment, I was calling a bunch of companys and asking some questions about their internet, and frequently got told "I'm going to transfer you to tec support, becuase you apparently know more about it than me"
    LOL

Great story clock, you always got good ones

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I don't even validate a legit copy of windows for friends anymore , I use the 9down crack kb9054 fix and my Corp ver. Works every time even tho I have two legit copies of XP Home and Pro from my work " I'm " using neither .

I posted a problem with a legit install too. I had to ask my young one to talk to the MS rep as I was ready to kill something .

I remember now ,the (Pakistani ? ) rep did n't understand my accent .
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-21-2006 at 03:12 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    @dml.
    You know some cable people are pretty good at helping you fix a connection.

I had one here installing a new cable connection , then having a beer with me for over an hour asking me about the different software ' I ' was using . He had never heard of Ccleaner and was interested in Giant Spyware. I liked him , he added an extra IPS address for me and I burnt him a copy of my free programs .
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-21-2006 at 03:31 AM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    SHRUDE's Avatar BRB GTP
    Dont even install WGA.