Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what programs can i get rid of out of these?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    ok, i'm not sure yet and figured i'd ask to get some input from u guys. i currently have installed:

1. avg
    2. peer guardian
    3. ad-aware pro
    4. ad-watch
    5. ccleaner

i recently acquired zone alarm pro and internet security and wanted to see what progs i need and which i didn't. zone alarm does what peer guardian does and it has an anti-virus prog with it. it's supposed to get rid of spyware also, which is what ad-aware does. i guess ad-watch just blocks cookies, idk. i use ccleaner for all my cookie cleaning (amoungst other things) and i like that prog so i'll keep that one anyway.

i guess what i'm trying to figure out is which progs i've listed are better so i don't need all these installed on the pc. i'm sure u can have all of these, but if one prog does all or is better than the other what for, right? i've never used zone alarm so i don't really know if it's good.

maybe all i need is avg and zone alarm pro without the zone alarm anti-virus? your thoughts?

edit: ad-watch is also a pop-up blocker. i use firefox now, so that's probably not needed.
    Last edited by mr. nails; 08-19-2006 at 08:05 AM. Reason: added ad-watch function
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Out of those, I'd suggest uninstaliing... Zone Alarm.
    I thought Peerguardian blocked access to known IPs of anti-p2p groups etc. ZA doesn't do that, it's just a brightly coloured firewall with a popup blocker and antivirus.

Honestly, pop off to http://www.kaspersky.com and download KIS6 and see what you're missing. Then you can dump AVG (which isn't any good anyway IMO) and disable Adwatch.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    ad-watch is not needed becuz of what? i'm asking. firefox?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Kaspersky Internet Security has inbuilt ad and popup blocking so if you used that you wouldn't need adwatch running.
    If you're using ccleaner on a regular basis to delete cookies, I wouldn't worry about blocking them.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Since you can only have one anti-virus, I would search for some reviews on ZA's Anti-Virus effectiveness, especially compaired to what you have now before I decided which to keep. As for the other apps, redundancy is a good thing when it comes to spyware so keep them all. If you use a bittorent client it would be best to keep Peergurdian as ZA is not meant as a replacement for it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I used to have peergurdian but i noticed it slowing down my connection greatly so i decided to replace it with ZA pro. I have no problem with it.
    Also instead of ad-aware i heard Spy-doc is better so i downloaded a trial to check it out. Seems good enough for me.
    AVG really is not that good, switching to NOD 32 or Kaspersky would be better.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I would suggest Norman antivirus and Webroot Spy sweeper. they are the best.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tthoma View Post
    And you can back this up with detailed analysis?

Thought not.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tthoma View Post
    And you can back this up with detailed analysis?

Thought not.
    Jeebus, I really hate SpySweeper.
    So many of my customer's PCs run it (we are, after all, within spitting distance of their Boulder HQ)- I cringe when I see the unexplained hourglass at startup cause I just know that...yup!, there it is!...it's coming, the SpySweeper splash screen.
    Hell, most of these people have nothing to worry about anyway.

Their machines are so slow that malware gets bored and goes away on it's own.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Yup I hate ss also.

I also think pestpatrol is a pos.

But most people love'em

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast