Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got sued for downloading?

By that I mean: Who got the infringement notice from HBO for downloading Entourage, Deadwood, etc..... I got one two weeks ago from my ISP (COX)....hope they don't give HBO my info!!!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    GString
    I live in Canada so I dont have to worry about any of that! Since its illegal for any of our isp's to give any info about us unless they have a warrent Most of the time those notices are just sent to you because "HBO" in this example sent your isp a notice and your isp is passing it on to cover there ass... I'm sure you have nothing to worry about

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I'm interested if any readers have experience with being sued by the MPAA or RIAA. Tell me your story....I'm all ears...errr...eyes....

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    thesixthsensor's Avatar P0st3r
    i have a friend that did... they told him either he deletes everything or pays for it of course... or they were gonna take him to court. He deleted everything and then like six weeks later got another letter with a court date and so this big thing went on. but he got out ok....

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    You don't get sued for downloading.
    You get sued for distribution of copywrited material, sharing.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercox View Post
    By that I mean: Who got the infringement notice from HBO for downloading Entourage, Deadwood, etc..... I got one two weeks ago from my ISP (COX)....hope they don't give HBO my info!!!
    Where are you downloading the trackers from?

yo

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    DKre8ive1's Avatar L0st N S0und BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by coppercox View Post
    Post a copy of the infrigment letter here since most of the time it tells you what tracker you were using to grab the file when they caught you and give everyone a heads up.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    tetrakis's Avatar Nucleophile BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i got that letter twice from HBO, once last year for Rome, once this year for entourage. Both times I d/led from either isohunt or torrentspy or mininova. Nothing ever came of it. I was even using peerguardian this latest time. Stick to the private trackers and you'll be fine. Though torrenting makes me nervous becuase once you're in the swarm, you can see all the ip addresses of everyone d/ling and u/ling.
    Last edited by tetrakis; 08-23-2006 at 12:57 PM.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    You don't get sued for downloading.
    You get sued for distribution of copywrited material, sharing.
    .....you're playing with words: downloading copyrighted material will get ya sued....downloading a picture of your cat will not....most readers of this post know what is meant

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Where are you downloading the trackers from?
    got them from a public tracker(mininova).....my understanding is that any public tracker is fair game for the RIAA and MPAA's web crawler which checks for copyrighted material automatically and then records downloaders and uploaders ip addresses

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast