Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I was planning to buy the 4800 X2

can I curse? FUCK!
    Until I found out that it doesn't support virtualization. What the hell is that?

Edit: I wiki'd virtualization and didn't really understand it.

Edit: Changed title and now want to know if there will be a big performance leap that I will notice.
    Last edited by Shiranai_Baka; 08-27-2006 at 12:59 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    can I curse? FUCK!
    No one knows what it is?!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    It means it wont be able to run a virtual OS within the standard OS...

What this means is you cant emulate say Windows 98 from within Windows XP you would have to use the route of split HDD and dual boot.

Nothing to worry about because I doubt you would even use it anyways and the hardware does not get used by anything other than virtualization software.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    Just installed mine.

I was pretty happy with the performance, but expected better. Then windows realised it had a dual core processor and updated its hardware. After a reboot it is really flying.

Make sure you upgrade the bios first if necessary, and get the x2 processor driver too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Oh lynx, would you think I'd see a good performance difference from what I have?
    Also, I wasn't aware there were X2 processor drivers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    AFAIK the 1P Opterons (which is what model 165 is) are effectively "golden sample" versions of the Athlon 64 chips, and consequently should run cooler. You can probably get quite a bit of overclocking out of it, which will probably be difficult with the X2 4800.

However, that's all supposition on my part since I've never had an Opteron, clocker is probably the one to give you a better answer.

As far as drivers and utilities are concerned, here they are. In order to install the new cpu driver you have to remove the old driver (assuming you've got it). http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/..._13118,00.html
    They are dual-core drivers not Athlon X2 drivers, so I think they will be the same ones for the Opteron dual-core processor. I'm not sure what they do, but if you haven't already got them it is probably worthwhile trying them first to see if you get a performance boost.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Yeah I've googled the drivers and found them. I'll just wait for clocker's advice on the speed difference. Also, I can't overclock because the system freezes up (I think its the mobo but it might be the windows installation because it freezes up at the login screen.)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's all sorts of things that can prevent you from OCing the processor successfully.

The HT bus speed is locked to the base processor speed, but you can't really push it much so you often have to knock the multiplier back to 4. That gives you a HT rate of 800MHz at standard clocking but it rises as you OC and reaches 1GHz again if you get to 250MHz base.

Similarly you need to lock down the other bus speeds too rather than have them tied to the processor base speed, but I think that's done as default on your mobo.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Oh Clocker, where might you be?!
    Is he on vacation?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    Accroding to what i read here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115005

This processor can support virtualization, but if you're on a low budget i dont think you'll afford it since a good motherbord for these processors cost around 140$ :-(

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast