Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop windows firewall to help bittorrent

hugoharding's Avatar its changed since 02
    Ok, i've not been round here for a long, long time, but you guys have always helped me out with stuff i've not been able to do myself.

So here goes,
    Trying to sort out Bittorrent on my laptop last night, sorted out the port forwarding and all that, but I was still downloading and uploading at <10kBs.
    So I discovered that Windows Firewall was on, but when I tried to go to the settings an error box came up saying "Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings." So I went to this site:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/sharedaccess.htm
    and it sorted the problem out, I could turn off Windows Firewall, and was now downloading at around 120kBs and uploading at about 75.

So, I turn on my laptop this morning, and i'm downloading at <10kBs again. Went to windows secruity center, it says that windows firewall is on, and i go into the firewall setting where it's still set at off, yet still says that its on in security center.

So I either need Bittorrent help or Windows Firewall help.

Cheers in advance,

Hugo.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I followed the reg entry in that, but it still didn't turn off. Weird thing is though, last night speed went up to about 30 but now there back down to less than 10.
    I really do think it is windows firewall, coz when it said off in security center, my speed bombed up.

H.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    i've never had to turn off winxp's firewall to get better dl's or ul's. so i doubt that's ur prob. maybe a firewall on ur router is causing the prob?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Or you use your own firewall or windows firewall, but never boath. Complications can accour if windows firewall doesn't want to turn off automaticly when you install another firewall, don't know why this happens. I had come to the point once when i couldn't turn off my windows firewall and soo i couldn't open IE also anymore. Did you check if your connection link to internet has in configuration properties firewall enabled ?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I would suggest you use zone alarm so then i think windows firewall will turn of automatically.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by gamer4eva View Post
    I would suggest you use zone alarm so then i think windows firewall will turn of automatically.
    it does.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Microsoft fixed some problems with Windows firewall problems with p2p with latest SP2. U can use SP1 that has no windows firewall. You can also uninstall SP2 or windows firewall if you have reached complications beyond repair. I can give you instructions how to do it if you want this cause you can't do it with just add or remove programs option.
    But no matter what firewall you use on latest xp version in your security center you always see Firewall ON, just that under that you see the name of firewall.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ok, I've installed zonealarm, so windows firewall is now turned off.
    But my dl and ul speed are still well low. I have just noticed that in our router settings the firewall is set to medium level, should i keep this as is or turn off or down or anything?

It also says that "universal plug and play" is disabled, I don't know if this is anything useful, and "Discard ping from the internet" is set to yes. Don't know how useful these last 2 things are, they mean jack shit to me, but maybe helpful to yous lot.

Any other ideas?
    H.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    If it disabled universal plug and play that's great ,I'v never seen a Firewall do that . I usually have to do it by hand .

The ping is probably your ISP checking your connection .

A quick Google found a guide for ZA and Bittorrent .

http://forums.torrentspy.com/showthread.php?t=30142
    Last edited by peat moss; 08-28-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast