Thread: Slow download speeds with Newsleecher/Giganews

Please help.

Earlier this week, I signed up with giganews and have been using newsleecher.

The problem is that my downloads are maxing out at about 70kBps on a DSL connection. When I test my speed on giganews.com, my speed is always 574kBps.

I have tried the following:
    1- increasing the number of connections
    2- removing my firewall (linksys router)
    3- removing my antivirus (norton 2006) and
    4- changing ports (currently using 119)

Nothing seems to help. I'm still stuck @ 70 kBps. I'm hoping to get close to 450kBps. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go back to torrents but at this speed giganews is not worth the money.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Wibble
    Quote Originally Posted by puckers66 View Post

Please help.

Earlier this week, I signed up with giganews and have been using newsleecher.

The problem is that my downloads are maxing out at about 70kBps on a DSL connection. When I test my speed on giganews.com, my speed is always 574kBps.

I have tried the following:
    1- increasing the number of connections
    2- removing my firewall (linksys router)
    3- removing my antivirus (norton 2006) and
    4- changing ports (currently using 119)

Nothing seems to help. I'm still stuck @ 70 kBps. I'm hoping to get close to 450kBps. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to go back to torrents but at this speed giganews is not worth the money.
    Newsleecher has a built-in speed limiter; it may be that that's causing the problem... go to Tools->Connections->Speed and see if there's any limit being applied.

Hope that helps!

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    You sure its not reporting 574kbps perhaps which would be the same or very close to 70kBps if Im remebering this correctly. Yup just took a look and they show results in bits and not Bytes so it may be the limitation of your DSL service. You could also go to another site like BandwidthPlace and see what results you get. Maybe post a screenshot of the results...

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    citizenblue's Avatar DISABLED PRIVS
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY View Post
    You sure its not reporting 574kbps perhaps which would be the same or very close to 70kBps if Im remebering this correctly. Yup just took a look and they show results in bits and not Bytes so it may be the limitation of your DSL service. You could also go to another site like BandwidthPlace and see what results you get. Maybe post a screenshot of the results...

Yes, this is all very true.
    70KB/s = 560Kb/s coincidence?
    And getting an official speed test done is also a great idea, have no filesharing apps running, make sure you are not downloading anything and do a speed test at the place mentioned by RealitY or :
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest
    Also remember, 1KB = 8Kb
    KB = Kilobyte Kb = kilobit