Thread: ntl

Hi I'm just getting to grips with newsgroups for the first time. I'm using Grabit but I can't seem to get a connection. The address i've used is news.cable.ntlworld.com port:119, however I keep getting:

'unable to conect to news.cable.ntl.world.com:119 502 Permission denied http//www.highwinds-software.com/ (Tornado v1.0.6.380)'

Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Have you tried a different port. I got that whenever I was using the wrong port. I am fairly new to this also, so I might be wrong. Check your newsgroup provider and see what ports they use and if they offer more than one try one of the others.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Wrong address
    news.cable.ntl-world.com
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Thanks for the replies guys. I did try news.cable.ntl-world.com but it didn't work. I got the address details from http://www.ntlworld.com/toolsservices/newsgroups/ it says there to use port 119. Would I have to port forward my router by any chance and if so what services should I forward it for? would it be TCP and UDP?? Many thanks.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    noomski in your first post it says you put news.cable.ntl.world.com isnt it just ntlworld.com? works fine for me

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Host - news.ntlworld.com

Port - 119

That should work.

Remember to set your connections to 8 as well. On the same page.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yup works fine for me. I've leeched 38GB in two weeks from the ntl news server. Most of the good groups arent there but one of my favourite groups is (alt.binaries.games.xbox). I always max out my connection too.
    Last edited by torrentguy; 09-02-2006 at 08:51 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentguy View Post
    Yup works fine for me. I've leeched 38GB in two weeks from the ntl news server. Most of the good groups arent there but one of my favourite groups is (alt.binaries.games.xbox). I always max out my connection too.
    I have no idea how much I have taken, but I get max downloads pretty much all of the time. Like you said there's a lot of good groups not there, but there is still a lot available, particularly when you remember it's included in the interweb price and has unlimited downloads.