Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Exgirlfriend - serious replies only please

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Yup.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    I just keep reading it as "hippie" when someone refers to "sprituality" :/
    I wouldn't say "hippie" necessarily, but I've always been a bit baffled when someone claims to be spiritual, or attributes that quality to another.

What they seem to be saying when they say it belies the very idea of "spirituality"; that is to say those who claim to be "spiritual" are...effecting an affect, I'd say.

When I was younger it was code for, "He smokes good dope".
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Didn't think I'd have to resort to a simple definition.

Sprituality:

1. the quality or fact of being spiritual.
    2. incorporeal or immaterial nature.
    3. predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life,
    etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.
    4. Often, spiritualities. property or revenue of the church or of an
    ecclesiastic in his or her official capacity.

I base my use of the word in this instance on #3.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    3. predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.
    But what, precisely, does it mean to be spiritual?

To be cognizant of fate?

What is it to exhibit a"spiritual tendency or tone"?

To wax philosophical?

To speak of one's existance in meta-physical terms?

All one can do is distill one's milieu to it's truest form and determine how to interact successfully with it.

This is, of course, subject to individual interpretation, which variable eliminates any commonality, and which also eliminates any communally recognizable "spirituality".

Unless, of course, you are speaking in the religious sense, and by this I most definitely am not referring to Scientology.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    3. predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.
    But what, precisely, does it mean to be spiritual?

To be cognizant of fate?

What is it to exhibit a"spiritual tendency or tone"?

To wax philosophical?

To speak of one's existance in meta-physical terms?

All one can do is distill one's milieu to it's truest form and determine how to interact successfully with it.

This is, of course, subject to individual interpretation, which variable eliminates any commonality, and which also eliminates any communally recognizable "spirituality".

Unless, of course, you are speaking in the religious sense, and by this I most definitely am not referring to Scientology.
    Three minutes after posting this. You sent me a conciliatory pm. Wtf?

Ime nonbelievers & religious people are afraid. Afraid of people who believe but are not necessarily religious.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36

Ime nonbelievers & religious people are afraid. Afraid of people who believe but are not necessarily religious.
    Because though I feel the word is misused, and thrown around too lightly, I didn't want to offend.

BTW-

What is someone who is not religious taking the time and making the effort to believe in, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry again for the timing vis a vis my latest PM; your answer pounced first, so this response is once again out-of-phase.

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, keep in mind that my own beliefs would possibly be considered "spiritual" since I'm no member of an organized religion.

Of course, I am a hippie too so...

I'm also drunk. Yay family dinners.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38

Because though I feel the word is misused, and thrown around too lightly, I didn't want to offend.

BTW-

What is someone who is not religious taking the time and making the effort to believe in, if you don't mind my asking?

Sorry again for the timing vis a vis my latest PM; your answer pounced first, so this response is once again out-of-phase.
    To answer your question. Your statement implies that your view of religion is like a sword hanging over ones head. You better believe or else. Not all people believe this.

Some spiritual people believe in people & doing good. Just that doing good is it's own reward.

Btw it's hard for me to believe that you don't understand these things. I think you feign ignorance. So that you can teach, inform or convince others.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39

BTW-

To answer your question. Your statement implies that your view of religion is like a sword hanging over ones head. You better believe or else. Not all people believe this.

Some spiritual people believe in people & doing good. Just that doing good is it's own reward.

Btw it's hard for me to believe that you don't understand these things. I think you feign ignorance. So that you can teach, inform or convince others.
    I see.

My only point is that spirituality has it's roots in religion, much as law has it's roots in the Commandments.

I share your opinion that belief in people and good deeds can keep one on an even keel and lend mightily to inner peace and serenity.

I also feel that those who speak of such things shouldn't be troubled by even the mention of religion and it's positive effects on those who do not practice any formal religion.

I would posit that spirituality presupposes a higher power, or powers, though some prefer the term fate.

Religion gets a bad rap, too often as a matter of course, and occasionally I like to try to remind others how they've been influenced by it, whether or not they care to acknowledge same.

Since it appeared your initial dilemma had been sorted decently, I thought I'd nudge a worthy thread in another direction, but I certainly understand any reluctance to have it wander this way.

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234