Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do I have to pay?

hi,

yesterday I first time heard about he newsgroups, i am a little confused, so I just wanted to known do I have to pay to get in those news servers? I uderstood that there are free servers too, but do I need them? maybe they are slow or something..
    Also, I understood that I can leech only, I don't have to seed, to share, that's right? so, who wants to provide a server and I will leech only and he will get nothing from me..
    So, did I uderstood correctly: I will have to pay this server once a month, and then I'll can leech everything what I want with the maximum speed

If so, I'll better stay to the bittorrent..

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Retired
    there are free servers but the retention of those servers is very low (less then a couple of days.)

with payservers you will always download with your max. download speed and most servers have a retention of 40+ days.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    I don't have to pay

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    I don't have to pay
    why not?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    You usually have to pay for the convenience of getting excellent speed, completion and retention from a single news service. If you want to go the free route it means learning more and doing more work to use the various limited resources available.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    Quote Originally Posted by Global Jihad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    I don't have to pay
    why not?
    I have friends that download what i want for me, we share everything with each other on private server
    I used usenet very little myself, also my ISP has usenet.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster
    are indexing site worth the money considering there is bittorrent and emule now?

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 View Post
    are indexing site worth the money considering there is bittorrent and emule now?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by 360 View Post
    no.

there are many free nzb sites

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    There are some semi-decent free servers. I used one that gave 1mbit with 4 connections and had retention of about a week. Perfect if your on 512 or 1mb and mainly just want new stuff. If your on faster connection then you can string together several free servers to increase your overall speed.

I used to do that and have a block account (where you but an amount of non-time-limited download) for older stuff and fills that were'n't on the free ones.

That said I now pay for an unlimited free because its worth the money - less hassle, full speed. With a premium server you are paying for convenience. Its like hitchhiking verses driving - hitchhiking will get you there for free, but driving in your own car gets you there when you want to, at good speed, and in comfort.

I don't use pay-foir indexing sites.
    - there are plenty of NZB sites (like nzbmatrix)
    - there are search engines (like binsearch)
    - and you can always download headers yourself (great if you mainly frequent a couple of groups)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast