Thread: CPU heating issues.

maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain

When playing games I have to place a fan beside it. I was wondering what I should do, the siding which is taken off, is a clear side.

This is what I have right now. I bought 3 fans. I need help in placing them. I tihnk the way I have them is worst.

1. heatsink fan
    2. fan 1 blowing into the pc
    3. powre supply
    4. fan 2 blowing air out
    5. fan 3 blowing air out
    6. Video card heatsink fan blowing downward
    7. dvdrw
    8. cdrw
    9. hdd1
    10. hdd2

The pics in the beginning are without the fans. Clocker suggested a new case a while back. Is that what I'll have to do? With MBM motherboard monitor, my temps are:

56 degress processor and 36 for the case.

These are the possible p-roblems that I can think of:

air circulation
    video card problem
    processor heatsink isnt touching (but I applies thermal paste, and I checked a few hours later, and the heatsink/processor both had some paste on them.)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    In the first picture at the top, it looks like the heatsink fins are blocked with dust. Clean that out!

The rear of your case has restrictive vents. You could cut out the perforated area and replace it with chrome fan grills:

Also check that the air can enter the front without restriction.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    I have 1 fan on my power supply and another small one on the back side of my computer and thats what i have for 6 disks, i never had any troubles. But i use round IDE cables.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    WoW thats one nasty mess of cables...Have you tried to rearrange them so that any excess is tucked in above the power supply...Do you really need the floppy drive still...I haven't used mine in months and if I do I temp install it...Try tucking the excess ide cable beside the drive cage (motherboard side)...If none of this helps you may have to get the round cables...The fan placement seems ok(I prefer positive pressure (more air in then out) but it seems like you not going to get much better with that case.Clean up the cables,clear out the dust,cut out the obstructive vents(carefully),install the new fans and check for new temps...Good Luck

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I cleaned the headsink out with compressed air. and added thermal paste. I'll try to reaarange the cables, but what about the air circulation? which ways do I p[lace my fans?

there has to be a logical explanation as to why the processor gets to 60 degrees, when the rest of the pc is at 35 degrees. Is it my heatsink?
    Last edited by maebach; 08-30-2006 at 02:51 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    but what about the air circulation? which ways do I p[lace my fans?
    This diagram show that:

there has to be a logical explanation as to why the processor gets to 60 degrees, when the rest of the pc is at 35 degrees. Is it my heatsink?
    Yes. The CPU generates a lot of heat compared to the other components. If you have good airflow through the case and you keep the heatsink clean then your CPU temps will drop.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I uses Zalman copper heatsink and arctic silver 5.. .actually cools down the temperature by 10 degrees... compared to an intel HSF

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Your poor video card has no airflow and would probably benefit from an intake fan on the sidepanel.

Also, your Speedfan screenie shows a very low +12v reading.
    I'd test your PSU's output with a digital multimeter and replace it if it's really that low.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    In case you don't know how to check the voltages http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=403837

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by accat13 View Post
    In case you don't know how to check the voltages http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=403837
    thanks.