Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefighters Face Suspension

Agrajag's Avatar Just Lame
    Quote Originally Posted by sArA View Post
    I think that they should be prepared to do their jobs (which I assume includes promoting awareness) regardless of the sexual/racial or other 'minority' status of the groups they are supposed to be serving.

Their excuses are no different from them saying that to participate in a similar awareness/safety campaign at an event at which the majority of attendees are black, and being concerned that they will be tarred with the same brush.

It is biggoted and totally without justification, I think they should be severely disciplined.

If firefighters are allowed to pick and choose where and for whom they will fight fires, perhaps before attending a house fire, they could ask if there is anyone gay living there, just in case they are seen popping round a poofter's house and therefore at risk of embarrassment when in the baths after their blokey rugby match on a Sunday morning.

OH.......Hi there BB...long time no see
    If attending events and handing out leaflets is part of their remit then I agree with you.

However the argument is not as straightforward as some chaps are making it. It's all very well saying that they should be made to attend any rally whether it be Catholic, Protestant, Black, Gay, whatever.

What if it was a BNP rally, or an anti-semitic gathering, or an anti-gay one. Should they still be forced to attend. What if it's something that the individual has a genuine reason to object to. Should a gay fireman be forced to hand out leaflet's at an anti-gay rally.

You chaps are just so PC.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB View Post

why would that be?

Incidentally I was defended by my union after my work sacked me for gross misconduct for being arrested for selling drugs. Doesn't make it right though does it?
    Because their union thinks that they are being wrongly disciplined. I was only pointing out this fact in case someone asked 'what is their Union doing about it?'
    Thanks for the effort then.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

Because their union thinks that they are being wrongly disciplined. I was only pointing out this fact in case someone asked 'what is their Union doing about it?'
    Thanks for the effort then.
    I would expect the Union to defend you in such circumstances Dan. The Union should be the work equivalent of your Mam.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrajag View Post

I would expect the Union to defend you in such circumstances Dan. The Union should be the work equivalent of your Mam.
    You mean it doesn't care what you've done it still wants to protect you?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    The decision to promote fire safety at any function is made at the administrative rather than the operational level.

I think that in light of any objection from below, these administrators should have been willing to man the booth instead of the fire-fighters themselves; after all, though I have never known a fireman, professional or volunteer, who wasn't supremely qualified to expound on fire safety, it only stands to reason that an administrator would be at least as good, if not better than, the boots.

It should not have been allowed to become an issue requiring disciplinary action.

Now, if the firemen had deigned to officially protest the parade, suggesting they'd rather not attend fires wherein gay people needed saving, well...
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-01-2006 at 12:18 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16

That's the point, someone who will always take your side, even if you are a cunt. What they can't defend they will mitigate.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

It should not have been allowed to become an issue requiring disciplinary action.
    Fixed.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    The union represents folks in the union so yes.

It's the bad thing about unions. I've seen many folk get their job back that clearly didn't deserve it.

In this case though, I think the firefighters are probably in the right.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Fixed.
    Thanxed.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Just an update.

The fireman concerned have been disciplined and 'forced' to attend 'training' courses. One of the them was a section commander who was demoted and stands to lose £5000 per annum.

Some of them stated that they were devout Catholics and it was against their religion to carry out this 'task'. IMO they were entitled to do this and should be commended, not disciplined.

I wonder, in todays political climate, if one of them had been a devout Muslim and refused to carry out this 'task, would the same disciplinary procedures have been carried out?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast