Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Firefighters Face Suspension

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post

Some of them stated that they were devout Catholics and it was against their religion to carry out this 'task'. IMO they were entitled to do this and should be commended, not disciplined.

Well, if not commended, certainly not disciplined.

I wonder, in todays political climate, if one of them had been a devout Muslim and refused to carry out this 'task, would the same disciplinary procedures have been carried out?
    Quite probably not.

Islam is not a Christian religion, and as such is off-limits.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    OK, so the point is that the firefighters refuse to educate a particular class of people in fire prevention, any notion of public service notwithstnanding. And their union supports their refusal.

Seems like a weak argument when public safety is the primary reason any fire department exists in the first place.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Some of them stated that they were devout Catholics and it was against their religion to carry out this 'task'. IMO they were entitled to do this and should be commended, not disciplined.
    How is that any different than the pharmacist or physician who refuses to give out birth control because the woman is unmarried, citing religious beliefs?

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    How is that any different than the pharmacist or physician who refuses to give out birth control because the woman is unmarried, citing religious beliefs?

Because that is part of a Physician or Pharmacists job. They are aware of that before they took the job on. In the firemens case I would be willing to bet that their remit does not include doing the task they were asked to carry out. As I am sure we will find out when the case goes to appeal.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by truetejas View Post
    OK, so the point is that the firefighters refuse to educate a particular class of people in fire prevention, any notion of public service notwithstnanding. And their union supports their refusal.

Seems like a weak argument when public safety is the primary reason any fire department exists in the first place.
    Who says it's the firefighter's job to go any and every function to educate folks on fire prevention? That'd be pretty fucked to lose a firefighter cos he didn't man a flamestation and hand out leaflets.

Whoever ordered those firefighters to be there should have subbed themselves in. Many firefighters (in my area) volunteer to do the work of firefighting.

I bet if the firefighters were at a county fair and some gays requested info on fire prevention that they wouldn't have refused. It wasn't simply the people, it was the setting.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Because that is part of a Physician or Pharmacists job. They are aware of that before they took the job on. In the firemens case I would be willing to bet that their remit does not include doing the task they were asked to carry out. As I am sure we will find out when the case goes to appeal.
    I don't know about the departments elsewhere, but part of the firefighter's job here includes prevention education, and they tend to be at functions that aren't necessarily related to firefighting. Education is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Who says it's the firefighter's job to go any and every function to educate folks on fire prevention? That'd be pretty fucked to lose a firefighter cos he didn't man a flamestation and hand out leaflets.

Whoever ordered those firefighters to be there should have subbed themselves in. Many firefighters (in my area) volunteer to do the work of firefighting.

I bet if the firefighters were at a county fair and some gays requested info on fire prevention that they wouldn't have refused. It wasn't simply the people, it was the setting.
    As I said above, the department's job here also includes prevention education. I don't know if they go to every function the city has, as I certainly don't go to every function the city has, but at anything with a sizable amount of people they tend to have a booth or a truck (or both). They aren't a volunteer force here, so I imagine that where they appear is somewhat dictated by the city, as they are officially city employees (to some extent).

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The plot thickens. Now we have a Christian arrested(albeit an alleged bampot) at a Gay Mardi-Gras for distributing leaflets that quote anti homosexual extracts from the Bible.
    The Homosexuals are making this a religious concern if they are calling it a Mardi-Gras or do they not realize the connotations of Mardi-Gras?

http://www.mediawatchwatch.org.uk/?p=559.

I think I will start up a new group called the Normal Minority. Wait a minute... they might not let me in.
    Last edited by bigboab; 09-06-2006 at 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor View Post
    I don't know about the departments elsewhere, but part of the firefighter's job here includes prevention education, and they tend to be at functions that aren't necessarily related to firefighting. Education is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

As I said above, the department's job here also includes prevention education. I don't know if they go to every function the city has, as I certainly don't go to every function the city has, but at anything with a sizable amount of people they tend to have a booth or a truck (or both). They aren't a volunteer force here, so I imagine that where they appear is somewhat dictated by the city, as they are officially city employees (to some extent).

So it's part of job to set up flamestations and hand out leaflets. When you dictated by the city you mean by a person who doesn't have to be at said function. Gotcha.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    It's part of the job here, yup.

so, he does
    -- WW2 for the l33t

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

A spokesman said: "The nine now accept that they should have performed their duties. Their refusal was a fundamental breach of their core responsibilities."

The nine firefighters are based at Cowcaddens and were asked to distribute community safety advice to people attending the Pride Scotia festival in George Square on 24 June.

The fire service spokesman said: "Firefighters cannot, and will not, pick and choose to whom they offer fire safety advice.

"Strathclyde Fire and Rescue has a responsibility to protect every one of the 2.3m people it serves, irrespective of race, religion or sexuality."
    source

Job description

Firefighters make an area safer by minimising the risks, plus the social and economic costs, of fire and other hazards. They rescue people and property from all types of accident and disaster; only one in five calls, on average, is specifically for help at a fire.

Acting and advising on all matters relating to the protection of life and property from fire and other risks, firefighters also promote fire safety and enforce fire safety standards in public and commercial premises. Lectures, exercises, practice drills and other forms of training are an integral and continual part of the job.
    Typical work activities

Firefighters work mainly as part of a six person crew. Typical activities include:

* attending emergency incidents: fires; road accidents; floods; bomb incidents; spillages of dangerous substances; and rail and air crashes;
    * rescuing trapped people and animals;
    * minimising distress and suffering, including giving first aid before the ambulance crew arrives;
    * ensuring your own and others' personal safety at all times;
    * dealing with unforeseen circumstances as they arise; thinking and responding quickly;
    * cleaning up and checking the site after dealing with an incident;
    * taking the time to become familiar with local streets, roads and buildings around your own and nearby fire stations in order to respond to emergency calls with the utmost speed and efficiency;
    * inspecting and maintaining your appliance (fire engine) and its equipment, assisting in the testing of fire hydrants and checking emergency water supplies;
    * doing drills, physical training and taking part in training sessions on techniques, use of equipment and related matters;
    * maintaining a level of physical fitness necessary to carry out all the duties of a firefighter;
    * educating and informing the public to help promote fire safety, eg giving talks in schools and to local organisations.

For the fire officer in charge, additional activities will include:

* assessing situations quickly and deciding on the best course of action;
    * directing the crew;
    * writing full incident reports.
    source

Nature and Scope of Job

The Operational Firefighter must, as part of operational duties, endeavour to save lives, carry out humanitarian services as necessary and protect property; these duties can be summarised as:

• attending and dealing with incidents involving fire.
    • attending to incidents such as road traffic accidents, or similar, and to extricate victims or casualties and render the scene safe from further risk of fire.
    • instigating protective measures to safeguard members of the public from hazards resulting from dangerous buildings or structures, as required.
    • mitigating the effects of damage to property as a result of freak or exceptional climatic conditions, if safe to do so.
    • prevent the suffering to and effect the rescue of animals trapped by fire or other miscellaneous cause.
    • providing physical assistance and rescue skills to aid other emergency services at civil disasters or other major incidents.
    • assist authorities at incidents involving on site hazardous substances or those in transportation and protect the public from the effects of those substances as part of routine service duties.
    carry out responsibilities in connection with Fire Safety, as directed by Brigade Policy.
    carry out responsibilities in connection with Community Safety, as directed by Brigade Policy.
    • complete all relevant paperwork associated with an Operational Firefighter's duties including maintenance of Brigade records.
    • maintain standards of dress and personal appearance as required by Brigade Policy, reflecting the proper image of a uniformed service.
    • maintain a level of fitness in accordance with Brigade medical standards and Home Office Regulations covering Operational Firefighters.
    • carry out inspections of property and report of risks under the Fire Services Act 2004.
    • check, test and maintain equipment carried on appliances and record results in Station Records.
    • inspect and test fire hydrants in accordance with Brigade policy.
    • host and guide members of the public visiting Fire Service premises.
    • during periods of agreed availability to attend the designated fire station for additional training to specific maintenance tasks or carry out routine duties, as directed by the Supervisory Officer.
    source

It's part of their job.

The task was to promote safety, not to pass judgement on the lifestyle of the audience.
    Last edited by vidcc; 09-06-2006 at 04:10 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast