Thread: convert .dvd

does any1 know of a free download for a program that will convert and burn .dvd to a disk with out an annoying banner running accros the screnn trying to get you to buy it. i have nero 7 but its a pain it will turn a 700mb .avi
    to a 4gb file and it constantly destroys my dvd/rw's i dont understand why ill put a 4.7 gb dvd/rw in put about 3 gigs worth of video into nero begin to burn and then when its almost completed transcoding and burning it spits out the disk and says this disk does not have enough space to complete this project i guess if it encodes the files then it could add extra space but why wouldnt nero compansate for that in the software and let u know on the usage bar at the bottom and the other one i use (dvd santa) does not add additional space to the file buy encoding it but it has a banner on it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated id like to use nero if i could but if i cant put a 700mb .avi onto a 4.7 gb its not much use to me

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    ghurka's Avatar Welsh Bhoy BT Rep: +5
    You won't find too many "free" progs out there that will both convert and burn....most will have some sort of restriction.

If Nero is telling you the file is too big why not compress it down a little using DVDShrink first. If it still won't burn then you know the problem is with Nero. Nero can be a bitch at times.

Have you tried both dvd-r and rw. I gave up on trying to burn with rw a long time ago.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Take a look at this
    http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/

The older versions were completely free if you want to find them...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    When you convert 700mb movie into DVD format ( .vob ), the movie will automatically increase its size to around 3Gb +

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    maybe you could try: ultimate cd/dvd burner
    http://www.mispbo.com/

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan57 View Post
    does any1 know of a free download for a program that will convert and burn .dvd to a disk with out an annoying banner running accros the screnn trying to get you to buy it. i have nero 7 but its a pain it will turn a 700mb .avi
    to a 4gb file and it constantly destroys my dvd/rw's i dont understand why ill put a 4.7 gb dvd/rw in put about 3 gigs worth of video into nero begin to burn and then when its almost completed transcoding and burning it spits out the disk and says this disk does not have enough space to complete this project i guess if it encodes the files then it could add extra space but why wouldnt nero compansate for that in the software and let u know on the usage bar at the bottom and the other one i use (dvd santa) does not add additional space to the file buy encoding it but it has a banner on it any suggestions would be greatly appreciated id like to use nero if i could but if i cant put a 700mb .avi onto a 4.7 gb its not much use to me
    Now you've made me out of breath.
    All that without punctuation, and a paragraph break appears to be in the middle of a sentence.
    Take these: ...............,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???????? and sprinkle them liberally throughout your next post.

As regards the problem you're having, I think you need to tell Nero to make the DVD smaller so it'll fit on the discs you have.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I don't use Nero for converting, its too screwy when it comes to avi's. You can use nero for burning an iso that another program converted. First off there are so many different types of avi out there some with vbr audio some with cbr, pal frames, ntsc frames etc. One program to do it all is impractical. If I had to choose one it would be Avi2Dvd (open source). But I would still examine any avi with Gspot first, run it through Virtual Dub to change any vbr audio to cbr before feeding it into avi2dvd. In this way I find out before the convertion if the vbr audio will go out of sync and I can correct it by reloading into V Dub and using the interleaving function. Avi2Dvd was created in open source to have the best of all possible functions. It can keep 5.1 sound if its there, convert between pal and ntsc, it will go from avi to iso if you set it that way and automatically size it, it will join several avi's to one prior to convertion as long as the names are identical and end in cd1.avi cd2.avi, it has 4 open source encoders to choose from and CCE (4pass) if you have the 2.67 version installed, it can create an iso, dvd files, vcd, svcd and produces good quality at the expense of speed.