Thread: RIAA Drops Lawsuit against woman when countersuit claims "extortion" tactics

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Thursday, August 24, 2006

RIAA Drops Stubbs Case in Oklahoma One Day After Receiving Defendant's Answer & Counterclaim!

In Warner v. Stubbs, in Oklahoma, the defendant filed her answer and counterclaim against the RIAA on August 23, 2006. In it she likened the RIAA's tactics to "extortion".

The very next day, on August 24, 2006, the RIAA turned around and asked the Judge for permission to withdraw its case:

Plaintiffs' Motion to Dismiss*

Source: http://recordingindustryvspeople.blo...ahoma-one.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    LOL, love the picture.
    I wonder what will be the next tactic of RIAA once everyone starts to sue them for things like this...

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Note to self: Remember this post.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    DISABLED PRIVS
    great

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    The problem is (as I've said before) that the defendant is left with their own legal bills.

It's actually a disgraceful system. If the defendant were a business the plaintiff could drive the defendant into bankruptcy without ever having to produce a shred of evidence that their original lawsuit had any merit.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    DISABLED PRIVS
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    The problem is (as I've said before) that the defendant is left with their own legal bills.

It's actually a disgraceful system. If the defendant were a business the plaintiff could drive the defendant into bankruptcy without ever having to produce a shred of evidence that their original lawsuit had any merit.
    "oh the legal sytem interpretations.."

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    Its just as I thought (and may have mentioned in these very forums, I dunno it's been a long time!) As soon as someone seriously stands up to the RIAA/BPI/MPAA their silly little campaigns will turn to dust.
    I just hope that the counter-claim is successful to let them know that people will no longer be stamped on by huge bullies and their resources.

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Glad to hear about this.....Im so tired of those self rightious bastards pushing decent people around, I think some one should start a non profit fund that would be used to help those who cant afford attorneys when they get persecuted by the mpaa/riaa

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    suprafreak6's Avatar Suprafreak6 is Back!
    can they put addresses from a legal document online? haha thats funny you can go to that guys house, be like heyyyy

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post

This is a good point and really does exemplify how the RIAA's scheme really is extortion. They file a lawsuit hoping to settle out of court and make you pay money or they file a lawsuit and you hire a lawyer to fight it, making you pay money. It really is disgusting.