Thread: Fan Adaptor For A Quieter Pc

Poster
    Quieter PC

As I found the Athlon XP 2000+ CPU fan noisy and I wanted to quiet my PC down, I started working on a fan adaptor project. It was the original stock fan supplied by AMD. I wanted to put a bigger and slower case fan.

As fan adaptors are difficult to find in stores around my place, I decided to make my own.

How to build a fan adaptor

Here is the design I came up with :

The material used was galvanized sheet metal (aluminium might work also). In order to do this, copy this plan on the metal sheet with a permanent felt marker (the red line in the plan is for reference only, don't cut), cut out the outer perimeter of the adaptor with tin snips. Drill the small holes, keeping in mind that the center four holes for the 80 mm fan need to be threaded (you need a long screw to go from the outside of the fan to fasten the fan there).

Fold the on the lines (it works well in a vise), and then cut out the center hole as the final step (I used a jigsaw). This is the end result :

After trying it out, I have good results. With a case temperature of 32C, the maximum CPU idle temperature is 42C, and 48C under 100% load for 30 minutes. The case fan that I used is a double ball bearing Antec 2600 RPM with speed monitoring.

Finally, my PC is quiet. -_-

I hope others can do this fun and rewarding project. This is well worth the effort.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    great idea
    good results too
    i've got a 2700, and the fan is pretty noisy
    generally i just put on some music to avoid hearing the noise, but it'd be better to have an alltogether quieter pc
    how long did it take to make it?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@4 May 2003 - 22:20
    how long did it take to make it?
    About 45 minutes, but I'm sure that if I would make more of them it would be quicker.

Here's a picture of the fan I used:

And a chrome grill:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    cool tip thanks i might actually try it (got no metal though )

im hoping to fit my PC with a watercooler soon so i can disable all the fans, now thats what you call quiet B)

fuck Derby County

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Woah... Whats with the super long username?

This is not about watercooling. This is affordable.

Has anyone tried this project yet?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Somebody1234@6 May 2003 - 12:53
    Has anyone tried this project yet?
    nope, but it looks very interesting...

you came up with all this by yourself?

pure genius.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I use fan adaptors for both my cpu and Radeon 9500

for the cpu:
    I use a 60-80mm global win plastic adaptor with rubber washers between both the adaptor- heatsink and fan-adaptor
    I use a YS tech 80mm 66cfm magnetic fan @ 4500rpm
    and an Silvermountain pure copper silvercoated heatsink
    I run an Athlon xp2700 on a 20% o/clock@ 43c withi this setup

I also use the same fan and adaptor on my radeon with a thermaltake heatpipe card mod
    I also run a W1zzard 9800 card mod on this and o/clock @ 325 ram and 385 core (you get similar performance to a 9700pro at this level for half the cost)

I also use a 45mm fan @ 20cfm & 3000 rpm on my mobo heatsink and
    1x120mm sunon case intake (front), 1x120mm sunon intake (bottom), 1x120mm sunon exhaust (top) & 1x120mm sunon exhaust (rear) all running at 2500rpm

all this and the sound is less that my previous 60mm globalwin 5700rpm fan

To run it cool and quiet you need good venting (i.e if you have got a case that can take at least 2 case fans then just take of the side and watch the temp drop)
    or if you got the case vents fit the biggest fan, with the highest cfm-noise ration (i.e Sunon@2500=15db vvvvvvvquiet)

Or if you got a bit of cash and want a bit of flash do the watercooled setup
    (I have done that previous but got a puppy and a kiddy, so 1 too many heartattacks when they go near the system)

Or if you got a lot of cash and want SERIOUS FLASH!!!!!!! then buy either
    a VAPOCHILL PE or PROMETHIUS case with active refrigerant cooling (runs at about -25c... honestly... MINUS 25 degrees CELSIUS)
    *blush* I am getting one of these in the summer :>

summary... for quiet cooling, fan adaptors, GOOD heatsinks, BIG fans with cfm-noise ratio a priority, and good venting, this will do the trick for all

~-- patience just takes practice --~