Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King

Poster
    Originally posted by Skweeky@8 May 2003 - 19:30
    My favourite is 'The shining', no doubt, and also that book about these kids that find a corps in the woods (can't remember the title right now)

Its called "The Body" which was made into a film and re-named to "Stand By Me". Good film that, I wouldn't mind watching it again.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    merlin-1's Avatar Poster
    My Stephen King favorites are:

1.The Stand
    2.Needful Things
    3.Creepshow
    4.Christine
    5.The Langoliers
    6.Pet Cemetary
    7.The Tommyknockers
    8.The Green Mile

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by ShareDaddy@7 May 2003 - 15:41
    If it had not been for SK being hit by the van he would have had several more out by now. I watched an interview with SK and his wife where he plainly stated the accident has pretty much left the Tower series on hold, possibly for good .
    Old news. Official dates have been released for Dark Tower books 5, 6, and 7. Check it out on his website here. The next installment is due in November. B)
    Proud member of MDS

4. Lounge   -   #24
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    The gunslinger has to be the best King series/book to date, but i have to say his early work was the best, The Stand, The shining, Carrie, IT and early as in 10 years ago, his new books are neither here nor there, they are not scary, or full of suspense they are just, well a waste of time. Rose red, dolores claiborn and The girl that loved tom gordon just were not king at his very best. Maybe he done like Magicnakor suggested and changed his style, but to me its a turn for the worst.

so favourite King books (in no particular order)

IT
    The Stand
    Gunslinger series
    The Talisman with Peter Straub (a great book)
    Needful Things
    Pet Semetary
    The Shining
    Christine
    Carrie
    The TommyKnockers
    The Langoliers
    The Shawshank Redemption
    The Mist
    The Body
    The Raft i think its called but that might be connected to the mist been awhile since i read that.
    The Dark Half.

Added after jibblers comment below: I have been reading King for almost 20 of those 30 years he has been writing, i would have done it for 30 years if i wasnt only 31 myself. If you read his books in the order he wrote them, then bits of one story will happen in another and as its Mostly set in Main they Intermingle with each other, eg Dreamcatcher they drive through Derry and he Mentions the Water Tower from IT, Dolores Claiborn There is an eclipse and in Geralds Game its the same eclipse, Not going to give to much away here or try not to but The Stand and The gunslinger Series are Seriously Entwined together. And there are probably a lot more instances in his numerous other books where things happen and you cant help but thinking "Bloody hell someone in such and such a place is being murdered now in such and such a book", I like the way he done that but the only way to properly see it is to read his books in the order they were writen.

anyway he used to be a great writer, not sure if its just because i have grown up a bit or his writing has become worse but i dont enjoy his new stuff but then again thats only my personal oppinion.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    Originally posted by stoi@8 May 2003 - 22:50
    Maybe he done like Magicnakor suggested and changed his style, but to me its a turn for the worst.
    I don't want to beat this to death, but he's been writing for 30 years. Its not a new style, he's has just matured. Do you think you'll approach your job the same way after doing it for 30 years? I understand Mr. King is nearly blind, and he had extreme difficulty recovering from the accident.
    Proud member of MDS

6. Lounge   -   #26
    Id have to sat the green mile
    but i dont realy like king too well or any horror for that matter

7. Lounge   -   #27
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by stoi@9 May 2003 - 03:50
    Maybe he done like Magicnakor suggested and changed his style, but to me its a turn for the worst.
    That was just speculation, really. I seriously doubt he has, because he's still raking money in hand over fist. As I said after that comment, "Why fix what ain't broke?"

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Only 2 books (short stories not considered now) qualify imo as ok
    The Shining (even better than the movie)
    RoseRed

I think most of his books start out very good but halfway the story becomes really
    crazy and unbeleavable ,real shame because he CAN do better! B)

9. Lounge   -   #29
    Only 2 books (short stories not considered now) qualify imo as ok
    The Shining (even better than the movie)
    RoseRed

I think most of his books start out very good but halfway the story becomes really
    crazy and unbeleavable ,real shame because he CAN do better! B)

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Poster
    I have read most & liked all those i've read. Can hardly wait for the other Dark Tower books to come oot.
    The best i've read has got to be Sven Hassel, i read all 13. That was 18 year ago so one day soon i think i'll start again, same as some of Stephen's early books.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast