Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "you may be a victim of software counterfeiting"

711's Avatar Custom Titles? Wow.
    Well no bloody shit. I downloaded a pirated copy of Windows, and a recent update has put an icon in my system tray that says:
    You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. The Windows product key installed on this computer is not genuine.

Anyone know of any working patches or workarounds to fool windows into thinking I'm using a genuine copy? Ive downloaded a few, but none seem to be working.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Search the forum there's a few ways to correct the problem . Its simple to correct really .

Fix WGA kb9054 is simple to use and as its your first post its hard to gauge your expertise . Typical of windows tho there's more than one fix depending on if you D/L Genuine Advantage as it sounds like you did . I'd look here tho .

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showt...=116679&page=5

Welcome by the way .

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    limesqueezer's Avatar kwasheni rejtash
    You have a windows xp sp2 that you downloaded probably from torrents, try again somewhere else. You would need a good patch or you loose your chance to update or to use email, its not hard to get rid of this message.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by limesqueezer View Post
    You have a windows xp sp2 that you downloaded probably from torrents, try again somewhere else. You would need a good patch or you loose your chance to update or to use email, its not hard to get rid of this message.
    It doesn't matter where it came from and there's no need to go get the whole thing again.
    The WGAV warning does not mean the user will lose the ability to use email and only recommended updates and supplimentary software will be unavailable, since the Autoupdate feature still works.
    Please don't mislead users.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    711's Avatar Custom Titles? Wow.
    I take it http://www.9down.com/story.php?sid=6843 is what I'm looking for. I apologize not realizing how old this particular bit of annoying code is, as yesterday's the first I've ssen of it.

Originally I was going to just ask my question, get my answer, and get going, but this seems like a very friendly and helpful community, so I may well be spending a bit of time here! Thanks for the accurate and speedy replies, took care of that annoyance.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    i just did a system restore to the day before the update and it disappeared like new. then set it that you check what updated you want next time unclick the update that courses the problem, it dont try to download again once you have said no to it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    It doesn't matter where it came from and there's no need to go get the whole thing again.
    The WGAV warning does not mean the user will lose the ability to use email and only recommended updates and supplimentary software will be unavailable, since the Autoupdate feature still works.
    Listen more carefully, i said only that wrong pach may cause that you won't be able to download updates or use email, cause not all work.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    Listen more carefully, i said only that wrong pach may cause that you won't be able to download updates or use email, cause not all work.
    I appreciate that English is not your first language.
    My apologies; what you originally typed didn't convey what you meant but I can see now what you were getting at.
    Mind you, "listen more carefully" implies an arrogance I hope you don't have.
    Last edited by Chewie; 09-08-2006 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typo
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    eh Chewie from UK, you know you are the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast