Thread: Converting .vob

LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Dear Readers,

I was wondering if there is a program out there that can Convert .vob to .avi as the filesize of .vobs are too large.. and if you are able to convert to .avi, will the video lose it's quality?
    Credits to ChuNaku,Kazearashi,Kennethzzz,Kiyocchi,S4ku,Tanakachi and Tubster68:

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    Gordian Knot

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

you will always lose quality if you make movie files smaller.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    LilAznAccommodator's Avatar Celestial Seraph
    Hmmm... yeah I guess that is understandable.. But will the Audio stay in Sync witht eh Video? Because when I try with SUPER, the sync is off =X
    Credits to ChuNaku,Kazearashi,Kennethzzz,Kiyocchi,S4ku,Tanakachi and Tubster68:

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtual Dub Mod will convert the vob to avi for you and you can use the interleaving section under Streams (right click the track to bring up the menu choices) to resync the audio. My Virtual Dub Mod has the ac3 filter and since the vob's I deal with are from a tv recording unit and are also ac3, when I convert the video from vob to divx I also reconvert the audio from 256kbps ac3 to 193kbps ac3 and in doing so I loose sync by 1/10th of a second (results may vary) so I started using the interleaving function under the stream tab (right click the audio to get the menu choices) and entering -100 (1/10th sec) in the "delay audio by" box fixes the audio sync automatically when I convert. So if you have several vob's that came from the same place, once you have the right interleaving setting , it will work for all of them. The 1/10 sec. I see is barely noticeable, the people talking just look off. At 500 or 1/2 sec the voice is noticably not correct and starts and stops are definately detectable. At over 1000 or 1sec. things look really bad and it can become difficult to determine where the sync is off. Interleaving works by moving the audio in relation to the video and can be done in Direct Stream mode (no encoding, direct copy), 1000 = 1 sec one way -1000 = 1 sec the other 1250 is 1 1/4 sec -500 is 1/2sec and so on. If you find a point in the out of sync video where its easy to count the seconds (gun shot, door slam etc.) it will give you a good place to start.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Yuccaman's Avatar The Country Bumpkin
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E} View Post
    Gordian Knot

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

you will always lose quality if you make movie files smaller.
    Another vote for Auto Gordian Knot from me....

Very easy to follow and uses VirtualDub to do it's dirty work.

Very good for the first time encoder as I have found out....