Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1979 Corvette w/ a 350, suggestions?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Question Mark

Time to buy a car, I found a 79 vette in the paper for 5800 obo, I'm gonna try to haggle him down to 4500 (condition is a factor I suppose). He claims its in excellent condition, or so it said in the paper, I haven't called yet, so I wouldn't know if its a stingray (here's hoping it is). Says T-top, red (color condition excellent), power windows, power locks, has a 350 w/ a m12 transmission so that's like a huge plus , also has aluminum rims and says it runs good.

Now the reason I'm posting is this, does anyone on this board have a 79 corvette or run a 350 engine? I wanna know, like gas wise, is it gonna be uber expensive or highly expensive (hey we all know its gonne be expensive either way, lesser of two evils I suppose)? Also, should I go for something else as a first car?

Reason it caught my eye is cuz I've always wanted an old skool stingray corvette, red or blue (if its blue, then w/ white racing stripes ) and I mean the 350 is like icing on the cake.

Just wanted your suggestions, what would you do?

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I strongly advise against getting this as a first car. Just think about insurance costs.

If you have to even ask if it's going to cost you "gas wize" then it's not for you.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I strongly advise against getting this as a first car. Just think about insurance costs.

If you have to even ask if it's going to cost you "gas wize" then it's not for you.
    lmfao, I realize that insurance is gonna be up the ass and gas wise I know approax how much it'll cost, but I mean, 5800 obo, that's an awesome price for a 79 vette

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    It'll definitely suck gas. No doubt there's a reason the guy is selling it so cheaply.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    probably 8-12mpg, and if this is your first car, the insurance is going to be insane.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    It'll bleed you dry :s

And if you want a Corvette, then buy a 1967 or 1969 Stingray

If I had loads of money and didn't give a fuck about the environment I'd have one of them
    Last edited by Skweeky; 09-10-2006 at 12:37 PM.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Get an insurance quote before even phoning the seller.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK View Post
    Get an insurance quote before even phoning the seller.

Ya that's for sure, and this would be my 2nd car (buying), but nonetheless, the insurance company will be up my ass on a daily basis digging for money

Man when it comes to vette's fuck the environment (damn you hypocritical thoughts )! This car is a beaut, well not this one, but the 69 stingray like Skweeky said, those things are just plaing beautiful cars, along w/ the 69 mustang .

Guess I'll have to play the waiting game, prob wont be buying a "dream" car like this till I'm like 25 or something

And ya the price did strike me as odd, there's something obviously wrong with it, no sane person would sell their baby for that cheap unless it's seriously fucked up or they need the cash bad.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

You win again you stupid waiting game

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    8 MPG at the most, premium only. 10,000 mi/yr @ $3 gallon = $3,750 yr gasoline. $4,000 a yr insurance, assuming separate policy teen age driver. $1,500 yr repairs, just the parts. Maintenance at least $200 yr, synthetic oil, filters etc, parts only. At least 2 speeding tickets a yr, $250 x 2 = $500.

So $5,800 purchase price.
    $3,750 gas
    $4,000 insurance
    $1,500 repairs
    $200 maintenance
    $500 speeding tickets

=$15,750 first yr cost of ownership.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    Time to buy a car, I found a 79 vette in the paper for 5800 obo, I'm gonna try to haggle him down to 4500 (condition is a factor I suppose). He claims its in excellent condition, or so it said in the paper, I haven't called yet, so I wouldn't know if its a stingray (here's hoping it is). Says T-top, red (color condition excellent), power windows, power locks, has a 350 w/ a m12 transmission so that's like a huge plus , also has aluminum rims and says it runs good.

Now the reason I'm posting is this, does anyone on this board have a 79 corvette or run a 350 engine? I wanna know, like gas wise, is it gonna be uber expensive or highly expensive (hey we all know its gonne be expensive either way, lesser of two evils I suppose)? Also, should I go for something else as a first car?

Reason it caught my eye is cuz I've always wanted an old skool stingray corvette, red or blue (if its blue, then w/ white racing stripes ) and I mean the 350 is like icing on the cake.

Just wanted your suggestions, what would you do?
    If you bought it, you'd own one of the biggest dogs Chevrolet ever built, a smog-mobile that'd be hard pressed to break 16 seconds in the quarter.

No Corvette built during that period is worth it's fiberglas, and that is precisely why the price is so "reasonable".

Other Corvette owners would laugh at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    It'll bleed you dry :s

And if you want a Corvette, then buy a 1697 Stingray
    Yeah, if you can find one of those, you could sell it and get 10 ZL-1s, 20-30 C-6s, a bunch of '63 split-windows, a couple of '53s, L88s...the sky's the limit.

You could probably even afford insurance.

BTW-

The chances of damaging the environment with a '79 'vette would be minimal; it had quite possibly the most comprehensive collection of anti-smog hardware ever jammed under the hood of any automobile in history.
    Last edited by j2k4; 09-10-2006 at 11:39 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast