Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Navy? Your thoughts?

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Question Mark

Well what do you think (of the canadian navy that is)? My friend wants to become an offiicer as well and can't decide whether or not he wants to go Air Force or Navy (he's not interesting in being a pilot, he just wants to be an officer), so naturally I told him Air Force.

But he pointed out a lot of good things about the Navy, and now I'm having second thoughts, I know there are no naval aviators in the navy other then helicopter pilots, but I also know that I won't be getting into an F18 cockpit anytime soon (due to vision), I can only fly transport stuff, something that doesnt appeal to me very much.

To cut to the chase, I just wanted to know, would you go Navy (in my case helicopter pilot, or radical enough, a MARS officer) or stay with Air Force?

At this point in time I can change my initial engagement from Pilot (air force) to an NROTC title, like helicopter pilot or MARS officer, since I haven't done any training or the Air Force itself hasn't actually given me any training yet I'm not obliged (until next summer if I don't switch before then) to stay in the Air Force.

I must also point out I'm looking for an adventureous life, not a boring one, I would not mind travelling the world at the expense of taxpayers whatsoever. Especially quickly, because to get overseas deployments if you are Army or AF, you need years of experience in your field within Canadian borders, Navy's a diff. story where you ship off as a young officer. I would not mind time spent away from home either, after all, 18 years of living with the same people kind of gets boring real quick.

So what do you guys think? Stay? Go?
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 09-11-2006 at 11:11 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Why don't you become an electrician?

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    1) Electricians in the military are not Officers
    2) Electricians are only in the Army branch of things
    3) Electricity and I don't get along on the best of terms

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Why not chose your service, Navy or Air Force, then join up and let them tell you what you would be most suitable for?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Why not chose your service, Navy or Air Force, then join up and let them tell you what you would be most suitable for?
    Not sure what you meant by that, but I'm already in the Air Force except I haven't done any training yet (i'm an officer cadet right now, training = next summer), and I can still "change" my career path and go Navy if I wanted to, although it'd take a while (beauracracy) that's why if I dont make a decision within the next month I'm gonna be with the Air Force for the next 9 years.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    I was together with a wonderful girl, for many years, her father was in the navy, an admiral to be exact.
    Apart that her parents where extremly conservative, lacked the capability to show emotion and where generally extremly boring to talk to -
    inrelation to that i still cannot decipher whether he is smiling or being serious, his capabilities of posing infront of the camera at an instance (smile?) where unimaginably immaculate, casuality of the job.
    He once said to me "One should never loose control"
    this he says to an artist from amsterdam
    i agree with him in theory but when i look at his life at 70 i think otherwise, too much control.
    Although he once drove me into a mountain, filled with tunnels, subemarines on the road on the left, other war ships on the right, only to get out of the security mountain to go fishing on a yacht.
    We caught alot of fish, via eccolod

Oldest son left at 18 to work as manager in manchester in hotels
    She ohh lovely she became an anthropologist and is saving the world
    youngest son tries to hold the training, and is an ok to fdo businessman.

You decide about the long term

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    if you go into the navy, is months at sea going to bother you?
    it's kinda weird thinking of the f-18 as an air force bird.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    1) Electricians in the military are not Officers
    2) Electricians are only in the Army branch of things
    3) Electricity and I don't get along on the best of terms
    Actually..

my boyfriend is a helicopter technician/electrician. He worked in the RAF for 9 years.
    They DO have officer ranks if that is what you would like to do and you can still decide to apply for pilot later on.

Obviously they have to go to war areas but you don't get involved in combat. You get all the training as the other people do but it's a damn easy job at the end of the day. You probably get to travel more than you would if you were just part of the regiment because every helicopter needs at least 2 electricians on board, most of the time they take more than that, just to be on the safe side.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    What ever uniform is the nicest go for that. I hear the Canadian Marine one is pretty tasty! Only draw back with the Navy at least UK NCO versions they are still wearing flares....which is ok, if thats your bag baby!

If the Armed forces are so worried about meeting their recruitment targets then they should jazz up those damn uniforms if only Georgio could still be with us to make some snappy combat gear!

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    Not sure what you meant by that, but I'm already in the Air Force except I haven't done any training yet (i'm an officer cadet right now, training = next summer), and I can still "change" my career path and go Navy if I wanted to, although it'd take a while (beauracracy) that's why if I dont make a decision within the next month I'm gonna be with the Air Force for the next 9 years.
    Once you have finished your initial training the Forces usually tell you what you are most suited for.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast