Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are private trackers really safe?

shosh's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Are private trackers really safe? i mean whats keeping the governing parties from suing any tracker site and getting all of our ip addresses. alot of private sites keep our ip addresses and if a group decides to attack a site, whats to prevent them from coming after us.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    deuce6000's Avatar Go Giants!! BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    If they sue and get all of our ip addresses i would think that the site would already be shut down so noone would be using it anymore.What are they gonna do with the ip addresses and how can they prove anything.Your paranoid.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    the question is, are private trackers safer than public ones?

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    You really have to ask yourself how well you know every single member of the site. It only takes one bad account to cause trouble. The easiest way to determine how secure the site is to ask yourself, "How hard was it for me to get in. And do I think a dedicated paid pro couldn't?".

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    lysine's Avatar 49311 BT Rep: +1
    if you're sharing copyrighted material without permission of the copyright owner, you're putting yourself at risk for legal problems (in most countries). it's not too difficult to get an invite to a private tracker, it would be naive to think that they can't get an account on them.

I'm not sure why they've chosen the strategy of going after users of public sites, but that doesn't mean that private sites are safe.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    You really have to ask yourself how well you know every single member of the site. It only takes one bad account to cause trouble. The easiest way to determine how secure the site is to ask yourself, "How hard was it for me to get in. And do I think a dedicated paid pro couldn't?".
    That's the point: how hard it is to get in a site.
    A guy that is investigating the site and wants to get access to it, has to act like one of us here.
    Now, how hard is to get an invite to a top site? well from my experience, it's not that hard, it can take a lot of time and dedication but probably they would manage to get in.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    nizrulesall's Avatar SuFis Up!
    Yeah, all it takes is a week or so to get invites if you try hard enough. so anyone could get in really...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Same with Scene servers. You can acctually get into alot of scene servers if you throw some money at them as well. Thats why scene always tries rooting out pay to leech sites.
    If you think about it its never 100% foolproof. However alot of the private sites eliminate their searchbots from searching the sites. As well as alot run peerguardian. They arent 100% effective but they do stop more than nothing like that open to public sites many times.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    pECi's Avatar ZOMG!! Torrent PLSSS BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I should expect the Federal Bureau Of Incompetence coming knockin at my door??
    http://metal.iplay.ro/pic/rmtlogosig.gif

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast