Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No P2P at University?

Poster
    Hey guys,

As always, I'm here to enquire! Ive just started university and moved in about 5 days or so ago. We have internet conenctions in our rooms (for £15 per semester!) but we were told that P2P has been disabled. They said it was so everyone has a good experience online (which is a load of crap because I took a speed test and got 2mb/s. That means everyone is getting 2mb/s and you don't need all that just for web browzing!

Anyway, my question is - to all you whiz kidz - is there anyway around this? With any client? I used Ares and Bittorrent back home, when I lived with my parents, but those don't seem to be working. Could I get them to work? Or perhaps use a client which will work? I was thinking you could do something simple such as, change the port in bittorrent. But any solutions would be greatly appreciated.

It's probably also interesting to note we conenct to the universities VPN if that means anything.

Thanks a lot, hope someone can help!!

(I would love you forever)

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Last edited by Skizo; 09-14-2006 at 04:23 PM.

yo

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    FreeDoom's Avatar Obsessed By Cruelty
    Hmmm, the encryption would help but maybe they have other ways of blocking...

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    Sorry I didn't search, feel kinda red faced right about now.

Anyway, the first two links you provided didn't really give me a solution. Then, I downloaded uTorrent, enabled the encryption and still nothing. I have a feeling certain ports may be blocked.

Any ideas?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
    Sorry I didn't search, feel kinda red faced right about now.

Anyway, the first two links you provided didn't really give me a solution. Then, I downloaded uTorrent, enabled the encryption and still nothing. I have a feeling certain ports may be blocked.

Any ideas?
    If thats the case i would definately advise you to go newsgroups....
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Hanz™'s Avatar making the world go BT Rep: +3
    Universities block loads of stuff, your best chance is to try some newsgroups - some let you connect with port 80 (web) (Newshosting allows you I think).
    Or you need to use a proxy, but that'd be very slow.
    You can also try using something like DC if you can find some friends that want to join up and somebody host a server etc...
    I did all of those things. haha. Totally broke the rules.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Poster
    Thanks for the tips

The only thing though, is I'm not in the know when it comes to newsgroups. Could someone kindly point me in the direction to get started?

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    google for newsgroups and look at the paid links. I've got friends in your situation and they use giganews (yes, this will cost you)

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Tempestv's Avatar Engineer
    when I was in the dorms, we used a program called waste to share files on campus. Since everyone was basicly on a Lan connection, the speeds were increadable, and since local traffic didn't count against our two gig a day DL/UL limit, we could download as much as we wanted. Plus, with most of the people on campus with a computer sharing files on it, it had a lot of files. of course it takes a lot of work to get something like that working, but once you do, it works great.
    Plan for the worst, hope for the best

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Same here.P2P dont work at my Uni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast