Thread: "the Third Eye"

This my favorite book ever!

The Third Eye
    Mysterious revelations of a Tibetan Monk.

by: Dr. T. Lobsang Rampa

This book, written by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, purported to be Rampa's autobiographical tale of his study and mastery of Tibetan Buddhism.
    Rampa claimed to have been born into a wealthy Tibetan family, to have studied in Lhasa to become a lama, and then to have undergone an
    operation that opened up the "third eye" in the middle of his forehead, thus giving him psychic powers.
    A group of Tibetan scholars in Britain hired a detective, Clifford Burgess, to determine whether or not Rampa's story was true.
    Burgess discovered that Rampa had never been to Tibet, nor had he had any operation done to his forehead.
    Instead Rampa was actually Cyril Henry Hoskins, born in Devon, England, and son of a plumber named Joseph Henry Hopkins.
    Cyril had studied the occult in his spare time, grew a beard, shaved his head, and began referring to himself as "Dr. Kuan-suo."
    When confronted with this evidence, Cyril declared that his body had been taken over by Rampa's spirit, and that the information in his
    books was true. Rampa wrote twelve more books before his death in 1981, but none sold as well as The Third Eye.

He discovers the "Kundalini" fire...
    Amazing book!

I love it!!

Sharma

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Poster
    I too read this book, many moons ago and found it fascinating.

I could never decide whether he actually believed the story himself, or whether it was intended as a con.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Originally posted by JPaul@7 May 2003 - 19:34
    I too read this book, many moons ago and found it fascinating.

I could never decide whether he actually believed the story himself, or whether it was intended as a con.
    That's the whole question about this book.
    Did it happen for real, or did it only happen in his vivid imagination?

Whatever the truth is behind the book.., it touched me.