Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Help Me!, My Pc Is Crazy.

My PC takes 6 minutes to shutdown. Please can anyone suggest or advise me on what to do to make it shutdown faster. This is my PC profile;

Win Xp pro
    AMD Athlon™ XP 1900+
    I,20 GHz
    256 MB of RAM

Thanx in advance.
    <span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING</span>.</span>

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Well there&#39;s a varieity of thing you can do. Check out some performance tweak at TweakXP.com.

XPTuneUp.com. Another site I like, good tips and help.

BootVis is a good tool for fast bootup?
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    balamm,
    You didn&#39;t happen to enable "clear page file at shut down" did you?
    Please how can I locate it?
    Where did you get the figures for your processor speed? a 1900 should run about 1.6 or a little better with 133mgh ram and at least 1.3 with pc100.
    I got the figures from ->My computer->properties->General tab.
    Do you have a bus speed jumper on board? check it out. maybe you can run at 133.
    Please what is it and how do I check it out? I appreciate your help.
    <span style='color:green'><span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR THE TRIUMPH OF EVIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING</span>.</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Duties are not performed for duty&#39;s sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
    Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    balamm,

I have desabled the "clear page file" option still no effect.

My motherboard name= ASUS A7V333 motherboard

Bus Speed options= 100MHz to 230MHz in 1MHz steps

Please, what do you expect me to do now? I appreciate all you have been doing for me.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the bus speed should be set at 133MHz (to give an effective 266MHz ddr) for this board and processor.
    what ram do you have?
    ideally you want 266MHz ddr ram (PC2100)

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Your problem is most likely #1 on the list below.

These are not mine, just gleaned from all over. Hope they help folk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Windows XP Tips

Here are some of the settings I alter after a clean install.

In System Properties.

1. Disable system restore on all drives

2. Disable Automatic Updates.

3. Set a fixed Swap File size on a separate dedicated partition (size = 1.5 X system ram)

4. Disable Error Reporting.

5. In performance options / visual effects disable the following :

Animate windows when minimizing and maximizing screen.
    Smooth edges of screen fonts.
    Smooth-scroll list boxes
    Use a background image for each folder.

In Services accessible from Administrative Tools disable the following :

1.Universal Plug and Play Device Host.

2.SSDP Discovery Service.

3.QoS RSVP.

That is enough to start with. For more info on disabling services click the XP Services Link

This next tip is just a personal preference.

Right click the taskbar and go to properties / task bar appearance then tick "Auto-Hide the taskbar", "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" and "Show Quick Launch"

Untick "Lock the taskbar" and "Group similar taskbar buttons"
    In the Notification area I have both boxes ticked.

Now go to Start Menu tab and click "Customize" then "Advanced" tab and tick the items you want to display in the Start Menu

I also like the Volume Icon displayed in the system tray which is of by default. To enable it got to Sounds and Audio devices in the control panel and tick the box "Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar"

Next I go to Windows Update and let it do its job. That&#39;s not quite true as I have most of the update files stored on my backup drive.

Now I&#39;m ready for some essential software covered in another section.

Below is a list of some of the most popular XP Tweaks gleaned from the Net. I recommend you do a registry back up before proceeding. If your system appears to be malfunctioning afterwards you can always go back to its state before you applied the changes.

Here’s how to do it :
    1. (Open the registry) : Click Start, and click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    Type regedit and then click OK. The Registry Editor opens.
    2. Scroll to the top if necessary, and select My Computer at the top of the left pane.
    3. Click File, and then click Export.
    4. Click the Desktop icon (or wherever you’d like to save the backup).
    5. In the File name box, enter a name that you will remember, such as "goodregbackup".
    6. Click Save. The file is saved to your Windows desktop.

In order to restore, simply double-click the backup file.

Increase the Icon Cache

On XP the Max Cached Icons is set too low,to change this go to regedit,
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;currentversion&#092;Explorer
    in the right window, double click "Max Cached Icons", type the value 8192 ,then reboot you should see a big speed boost icon load, and opening folders.
    Note -If the value is not there, you can simply create it :
    go to the above specified location, right-click an empty space in the right window and select « new » -> « string value ». For the name, type :
    Max Cached Icons
    then double-click it and enter the specified value (8192).

StartMenu Delay

The start menu has a delay between different tiers of the menu hierarchy. To speed this, you can change the value to zero. This will allow the different tiers to appear instantly.

Start Regedit.
    Navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Control Panel&#092;Desktop
    Select MenuShowDelay from the list on the right.
    Right on it and select Modify.
    Change the value to 0.
    Reboot your computer.
    (Note : If you have other accounts you might also go to
    HKEY_USERS/.DEFAULT/Control Panel/Desktop
    and do the same thing.)

Speed up Diskcache.

Open Regedit
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Control&#092;Session Manager&#092;
    Memory Management&#092;IoPageLockLimit

Modify the value in Hex depending on the size of your RAM
    RAM modified value(Hex)
    64M 1000
    128M 4000
    256M 10000
    512M or more 40000
    Reboot.

Clear Page file on shutdown.

For added security you should always clear the page file upon shutting down your computer. Windows uses this file as extra ram. Lets say that you are working on a confidential MS Word doc. When you load this document it is loaded into ram. To save ram windows places certain items in the page file. The page file can then be opened and the document can be extracted as well as any other open program or files. However Microsoft has implemented a feature that will clear the page file but they do not have it enabled by default. Please note, this will slightly increase the amount of time it takes to shut down your computer but it is well worth it.

Start Regedit.
    Navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Control&#092;SessionManager&#092;
    Memory Management
    Select ClearPageFileAtShutdown from the list on the right.
    Right on it and select Modify.
    Change the value to 1 to enable.
    Reboot your computer

Speed up Nero Burning Rom in XP

Go to "administrative tools" in the control panel, and in the "services" list, disable the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service.
    (Note: manual setting is not enough it must be disabled) It is the built-in CD-burning capability for windows XP (incidentally, written by Roxio).

Services Shutdown Time

Windows XP has the service shutdown time set to 20000 ms which equals 20 secs. To change this go to regedit and change this key :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Control&#092;
    WaitToKillServiceTimeout
    setting it to 5-10sec should do the trick (that would be 5000-10000)

Prefetcher Tweak

This is an unique technique for XP, which could improve the performance significantly by tweaking the prefetcher. Recommended hardware: PIII 800 or higher, 512 mb RAM or more.

1. Run "regedit";
    2. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Control&#092;
    Session Manager&#092;Memory Management&#092;PrefetchParameters&#092;EnablePrefetcher
    3. Set the value to either 0-Disable, 1-App launch prefetch, 2-Boot Prefetch, 3-Both ("3" is recommended).
    4. Reboot.

Large System Cache

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;ControlSet001&#092;Control&#092;SessionManager&#092;
    Memory Management -> LargeSystemCache

When enabled (the default on Server versions of Windows 2000), this setting tells the OS to devote all but 4 MB of system memory (which is left for disk caching) to the file system cache. The main effect of this is allowing the computer to cache the OS Kernel to memory, making the OS more responsive. The setting is dynamic and if more than 4 MB is needed from the disk cache for some reason, the space will be released to it. By default, 8MB is earmarked for this purpose. This tweak usually makes the OS more responsive. It is a dynamic setting, and the kernel will give up any space deemed necessary for another application (at a performance hit when such changes are needed). As with the previous key, set the value from 0 to 1 to enable. Note that in doing this, you are consuming more of your system RAM than normal. While LargeSystemCache will cut back usage when other apps need more RAM, this process can impede performance in certain intensive situations. According to Microsoft, the "[0] setting is recommended for servers running applications that do their own memory caching, such as Microsoft SQL Server, and for applications that perform best with ample memory, such as Internet Information Services."

Disable Paging Executive

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;ControlSet001&#092;Control&#092;SessionManager&#092;
    Memory Management -> DisablePagingExecutive

When enabled, this setting will prevent the paging of the Win 2k Executive files to the hard drive, causing the OS and most programs to be more responsive. However, it is advised that people should only perform this tweak if they have a significant amount of RAM on their system (more than 128 MB), because this setting does use a substantial portion of your system resources. By default, the value of this key is 0. To enable it, set it to 1.

Disable Hibernation to save space

Unless you use it, you can disable hibernation in :Control panel > Power Options > Hibernate. If left on, the hibernation reserves disk space equal to your RAM

Annoyances solved

Disable balloon tips

HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Explorer&#092;Advanced then set the value of &#39;EnableBalloonTips&#39; to 0. (Or if you have TweakUI, disable tips is in that program)

Turn off autoplay for CDs

Click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then press ENTER.
    Locate and click the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;System&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Services&#092;CDRom

-To disable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 0 (zero).
    -To enable automatically running CD-ROMs, change the Autorun value to 1.

Restart your computer.

(NOTE : This method disables automatically running CD-ROMs.If you want to disable automatically running CD-ROMs depending on the CD-ROM that you insert in the CD-ROM drive, you can press and hold down one of the SHIFT key while you insert the CD-ROM.)

Disable error reporting

One feature that I can do without is error reporting. Every time a program crashes I do not want to send a report to microsoft. Read below to find out how to disable this stupid feature.
    Open Control Panel
    Click on Preformance and Maintenance.
    Click on System.
    Then click on the Advanced tab
    Click on the error reporting button on the bottom of the windows.
    Select Disable error reporting.
    Click OK

Display message on startup

If you would like to display a legal message or any other message in a pop-up window when windows starts :
    Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SOFTWARE&#092;Microsoft&#092;WindowsNT&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;Winlogon
    Modify the key legalnoticecaption with what you want to name the window.
    Modify the key legalnoticetext with what you want the window to say.
    Reboot..

Turn off system beeps

If those beeps annoy you there is a way to turn them off.
    Start Regedit. Navigate to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Control Panel&#092;Sound

Once there, locate Beep on the list on the right. Right click on it and select Modify Change the value equal to no Reboot your computer and the beeps will be gone&#33;

Internet, I.E & Connectivity Tweaks

Clear temp files on close

The latest versions of internet explorer include some great new security improvements. For this tweak I will talk about the feature that clear the temporary internet files each time you close internet explorer. Launch Internet Explorer. Select the Tools from the menu bar. Then select Internet Options... from the drop down menu. Once the internet options has loaded click on the advanced tab. Under security find where it says Empty Temporary internet files folder when browser is closed and check it. Click OK

Speeding up browsing of Microsoft networks

1. Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;Current Version&#092;Explorer&#092;
    RemoteComputer&#092;NameSpace
    2. Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}.
    3. Right click on it and delete it.
    4. Restart

Easily Disable Messenger

Go into C&#092;Program Files&#092;Messenger rename the Messenger folder to something like "Messenger OFF" This does not slow down Outlook or hinder system performance

Allow more than 2 simultaneous downloads in IE 6

This is to increase the the number of max downloads to 10.

1. Locate the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;
    InternetSettings
    2. On the Edit menu, click Add Value , and then add the following « Dword » values:

"MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server"=Dword:0000000a
    "MaxConnectionsPerServer"=Dword:0000000a

3. Quit Registry Editor.
    4. Reboot

Disable Schedule Task in IE

IE 6.0 wants to run a schelduled task everytime it connects to a server. This results in slower browsing.To disable this delete the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;Software&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;CurrentVersion&#092;
    Explorer&#092;RemoteComputer&#092;NameSpace
    -> {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

Get rid of Internet Browsing history

Launch Internet Explorer. Select the Tools from the menu bar. Then select Internet Options... from the drop down menu. Once the internet options has loaded click on the general tab. Under the history section change the days to keep in history to 0. I would also click the clear history button to get rid of everything else.
    Click OK

Change Web Page Font Size on the Fly

If your mouse contains a wheel for scrolling, you can change font size on the fly when viewing a Web page. To do so: Press and hold Ctrl. Scroll down (or towards yourself) to enlarge the font size. Scroll up (or away from yourself) to reduce the font size.
    You might find it useful to reduce font size when printing a Web page, so that you can fit more content on the page.

Adding .com easily - Quick URL&#39;s

Just type cnn in the address bar
    Now press Ctrl + Enter
    This adds the http:// and the .com to the site name

Browsing speed tweak

When you connect to a web site your computer sends information back and forth. Although WinXP and win2000 has a pretty efficient DNS cache, you can increase its overall performance by increasing its size.

You can do this with the registry entries below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;Services
    &#092;Dnscache&#092;Parameters]
    "CacheHashTableBucketSize"=dword:00000001
    "CacheHashTableSize"=dword:00000180
    "MaxCacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000fa00
    "MaxSOACacheEntryTtlLimit"=dword:0000012d

Uninstall MS Messenger

Click Start &#092; Run Then type the following:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%&#092;INF&#092;msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
    Press ENTER
    Restart Windows

Bandwith Limit

(Warning : It’s been suggested that this tweak does nothing, and is in fact but a myth. In any case, applying it doesn’t appear to harm the system…)

1. Make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges. To log in as an administrator:
    -click on start->logoff->logoff
    -in the logon screen hold Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    -in the user field type &#39;Administrator&#39; <-case sensitive.
    -in the password field type the password for the administrator (if you don&#39;t have one leave blank)
    -press ok

2. Start - run - type gpedit.msc
    3. Expand the "Computer configuration" branch
    4. Expand the "Administrative templates" branch
    5. Expand the "Network" branch
    6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
    7. In right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
    8. On setting tab check the "enabled" item
    9. Where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0-- Click apply, OK, exit gpedit.msc
    10. Go to your Network connections (start->my computer->my network connection-> view network connections). Right click on your connection, choose properties then under the General or the Networking tab (where it lists your protocols) make sure QoS packet scheduler is enabled.
    11. Reboot, and you’re done &#33;

Web Browsing Tweak

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SYSTEM&#092;CurrentControlSet&#092;
    Services&#092;Tcpip&#092;ServiceProvider

On the right change these entries (ALL values are HEXIDECIMAL) :

DnsPriority - " 7 "
    HostsPriority - " 6 "
    LocalPriority - " 5"
    NetbtPriority - " 8 "

Default Values (for restoring purposes...)
    DnsPriority – " 7d0"
    HostsPriority – " 1f4"
    LocalPriority – " 1f3 "
    NetbtPriority – " 7d1 "

Add Folders to "Save As" choice

In WinXP Pro, just open the Group Policy (type gpedit.msc in the Run command), go to :User Configuration / Administrative Templates / Windows Components / Windows Explorer / Common Open File Dialog and Enable the "Items Displayed in the Places Bar" option.
    You can set any location, and it also offers you the most commons places by only typing i.e. My Music, instead of the full path.

Remove Shared Doc&#39;s from My Computer

Start regedit Navigate to :
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SOFTWARE&#092;Microsoft&#092;Windows&#092;
    CurrentVersion&#092;Explorer&#092;MyComputer&#092;NameSpace&#092;DelegateFolders
    Locate the key {59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}.
    Right click on it and select delete.
    Reboot &#33;

Show hidden files

In any folder that contains files. Click on the tools menu and select folder options.Then click on the view tab. Locate where it lists Hidden files and folders and select Show hidden files and folders.
    Click OK.

Create your own popup menu in the taskbar

You can create your own popup window other than START MENU in the taskbar. Put all the shortcuts to the applications that you want to popup in a folder .
    Then you right click on taskbar ->toolbars ->new toolbar -> and select the folder

Enable Hibernation

Click on the start button and select turn off computer.
    Then hold down the shift key and the hibernate button will be shown.
    Click it and your computer will enter into hibernation.

Create a shortcut to lock computer

Right click on desktop and select new -> shortcut.
    Then copy and paste this in the program location box
    rundll32.exe user32.dll,LockWorkStation
    Click next and enter a name for you shortcut and then click finish.
    Now you can copy and paste that shortcut anywhere you want on your computer.

Use the group policy tool to restrict access

If you would like to play computer god and limit or control just about every aspect of your computer you can use a great tool called the group policy editor.
    Click Start and select Run
    Type gpedit.msc in the text box and click on OK. The group policy editor will load. Navigate through the folders and you will discover hundreds of items that you can limit access to and control

Shortcut to send e-mail

Here&#39;s how you create a shortcut that lets you automatically begin a new message, addressed to that person, with just one mouse click&#33; &#33; Right-click on any empty space on the desktop, and choose New, Shortcut from the menu. In the Command Line box, type mailto: and then enter the intended recipient&#39;s email address. To create a shortcut to me, for instance, you would enter mailto:[email protected].
    Save the shortcut on the desktop, or in the start menu, or quick launch

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@10 May 2003 - 06:46
    the bus speed should be set at 133MHz (to give an effective 266MHz ddr) for this board and processor.
    what ram do you have?
    ideally you want 266MHz ddr ram (PC2100)
    My ram is DDR 256MB (PC2700). what do you advise I do now? thanx.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    having ram which is running faster than your bus speed isn&#39;t a problem
    have you checked the current bus speed in the bios?
    you want the bus speed to be 133MHz
    if the bus speed isn&#39;t at 133MHz, then set it to this and you should see an improvement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast