Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Protection...

david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    I will give it a try I just hope it will not slow down my system , keep you posted

and by the way you are right, windows firewall only gives a message after a program has given a signal to a website and the websites returns the call, only then

otherwise windows firewall is able to monitor outboud traffic,and it doesn't... silly me
    Last edited by david02; 10-06-2006 at 10:44 PM.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    It shouldn't slow down your system much. I recently tried the "free version" on an 800 MHz PIII.

You can then disable Windows firewall.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    manofstyle's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    I have Zone Alarm Pro running on one computer, and Zone Alarm Security Suite Running on another comp. I can say that ZA Pro loads faster and uses less resources than ZA Security Suite. I have found that the Pro version's Anti Spyware is quite good, so I would reccomend it over the free version.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    I installed Zone Alarm free because I only need the firewall option. It slows down my boot a bit, but I think I will keep it. Strange thing is that in the last 24 hours I allready got 840 intrusions attempts with one high rated. I think that is a lot.

btw only one installed program on my system wanted to connect to the internet which was Diskeeper pro
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Here's just my little 2 cents (or one cent)...

I've got a wireless router, firewall enabled, installed a different firmware too (Hyperthread? Something like that...)

Anyways, on my laptop & desktop: All I keep on them is Outpost Firewall (which has a anti-spyware/email scan). No Antivirus or anything...No problem. Then again I'm not as click-happy as some people.

Point is: Outpost firewall is the best Firewall I've seen and I'm a fan of v4.0 (latest, some people complain about it...don't know why). Antivirus? It's a joke, I never need AV anymore.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    Hairbautt, you said you installed a different firmware... in what? your router? I would never install a third party firmware in a router... Just get the latest one from your router manufacturer.

And as for AV, you would not know you need it unless you have it. I use Avira AntiVir and it works great (plus it's free). It has picked up many trojans and virii that other programs like AVG and Nod32 missed.

IMHO, downloading a lot from any kind of p2p without AV is not wise.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Urgent

Quote Originally Posted by manofstyle View Post
    Hairbautt, you said you installed a different firmware... in what? your router?
    Yes, in my router it was from here:

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Spec..._GL_GS_routers

I know what you mean, 3rd party, but its great. I love it, let's me manage it more with more options & etc. but its mainly due because the original has a flaw in design.

Quote Originally Posted by manofstyle View Post
    IMHO, downloading a lot from any kind of p2p without AV is not wise.
    Yea, I see what you're saying too. I'm pretty much all private trackers, so there's some trust there. And I do use the online free virus scans from Norton & McAfee, but they never turn up anything.

Outpost Anti-spy, pretty much just got some tracking cookies.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    I recently "fixed" my friend's computer. She complained it was running really slow. She had McAfee AV installed and it was fully updated but found no virii when she scanned with it. I installed Zone Alarm Pro and scanned for Spyway - 186 Spyware found and deleted, then Removed McAfee and installed Avira AntiVir - 84 Virii/trojans found! I decided she needed a clean windows install. The point is, not all AV are created equally.From my experience, I would say that TrendMicro, Norton, McAfee, Symantec, and AVG are all crap compared to Avira.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123