Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Protection...

manofstyle's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by david02 View Post
    good virus software is more important than a good firewall
    I suppose that is a matter of oppinion. I disagree. If you have a proper firewall you are protected from attacks that Anti-Virus would only detect AFTER you have been infected with known virii/trojans/spyware etc.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by manofstyle View Post
    good virus software is more important than a good firewall
    I suppose that is a matter of oppinion. I disagree. If you have a proper firewall you are protected from attacks that Anti-Virus would only detect AFTER you have been infected with known virii/trojans/spyware etc.
    I agree with you

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I use windows firewall , it is not that bad. It doesn't monitor outbound traffic but I just have to watch out what I install on my computer and good virus software is more important than a good firewall
    and don't forget to scan for spyware once in a while
    How do you know what software you can install and what not to install? I'll bet that you already have software that "phones home" and you don't know about it.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    david02's Avatar only human BT Rep: +1
    Mostly just by not installing unknown programs and if I do, only from trusted sites . I google for info about proggies before I install them . I never ever go to obscure 'crack 'n hack' websites .(Only those which are recommended by trusted people).

I allways scan my downloaded files.

I Installed xp antispy and turned most vulnerable features off+ I download all win xp updates and have a few spyware programs + virusscanner

It sounds like a lot of work just to not install a better firewall but I do not mind, I like my machine to boot up fast (I only have a amd 850 MHZ machine) and the internal firewall seems to do that job instead of another (better) firewall like zonealarm .

I know this isn't exactly 100% bulletproof, but everybody can get their computer messed up with when a new not yet detected virus or so hits the internet and other networks.
    Last edited by david02; 10-06-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    ''God is dead.'' - Nietche
    ''Nietche is dead!'' -God

graffiti

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    I guess you don't realize that many "legitimate" programs have outbound communications. I like to have a say as to if they are allowed or not.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    ok ok , but does windows firewall not give you a message when a program wants to contact the internet the first time? I normally choose 'ask me later'

btw I agree that for some people a better firewall is adviced but I have had some problems with 'better' firewalls . they slowed down my system a lot and made some proggies not to work .

and If my spyware scans say there is no threat found I am happy and believe my system is safe

graffiti

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    ok ok , but does windows firewall not give you a message when a program wants to contact the internet the first time?
    No it doesn't.

and If my spyware scans say there is no threat found I am happy and believe my system is safe
    Again. You missed my point. I'm not talking about spyware. I'm talking about "phone home" behaviour of quite a lot of "legitimate" software.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    I do not see any danger in that, as long as it does not behave like spyware

but if people want to be on top of everything that is fine by me but I hate all those popups other firewall walls give
    Last edited by david02; 10-06-2006 at 09:34 PM.

graffiti

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    btw http://www.spywareguide.com/ is a nice site

graffiti

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    I do not see any danger in that, as long as it does not behave like spyware

but if people want to be on top of everything that is fine by me but I hate all those popups other firewall walls give
    Try zonealarm. A popup asks the first time something tries to communicate. You decide how you want a rule to be set. Just select ->[*] Remember this setting and it won't bother you again (no more popups).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast