Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I almost died earlier

frazer's Avatar I drew my avatar
    or did he
    add me on msn at [email protected] and ill give you free mafia gangster game codes for myql and php no instrucions though and is the normal aiport bullets killing crims jail stuff

2. Lounge   -   #22
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I have purposely touched 600V - 3 Phase - 800 Amp main supply panel for a school. I'm still alive!
    It doesn't matter how many amps the panel is because it won't affect how many will go through you the second it touches you... (takes a second to trip).
    But did you actually touch both 347volt phases or just 1 of them (a 600volt service is 2 347volt phases right?)

Quote Originally Posted by manker View Post
    The standard current in the UK is 240 volts. I've got a few shocks before and it hurts a bit, but nothing like as bad as a kick to the bollocks.
    Don't kow if you know the answer to this but i'm sure someone does...

In US/canadia our power has 2 120volt phases and a neutral wire. Our outlets each have 1 120volt phase at them and a neutral, meaning plugs are 120volt.
    At dryer and stove plugs and in air conditioners and baseboard heaters, the 2 120volt phases are brought together (without neutral) to make 240volt (still have the neutral there in stove and dryer for lights/electronics but that's besides the point).

So how does that work in england then? Are there 2 120volt wires at every plug or just a 240volt and a neutral?
    And do you also have 480volt for stoves,etc. or everything jst uses the 240 or what?

3. Lounge   -   #23
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Duno, mate. Ask me one on sport.

Btw, the 'view first unread' link on threads doesn't work properly. Could you please fix it?
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

4. Lounge   -   #24
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Btw, the 'view first unread' link on threads doesn't work properly. Could you please fix it?
    Only if you can find the answer to my question.

5. Lounge   -   #25
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    Type G (British 3-pin)

BS 1363 (British 13 A/250 V earthed and fused)

The BS 1363 plug[8], commonly known as a "13-amp plug", is a large plug that has three rectangular prongs forming a triangle. Live and neutral are 4 × 6 × 18 mm spaced 22 mm apart. 9 mm of insulation over the base of the pins prevents people from touching a bare connector while the plug is partly inserted. Earth is 4 × 8 × 23 mm.

The earth pin is required to open shutters over the live and neutral pins on most sockets to prevent children from inserting metal objects into them, and also prevents the use of plugs made to other standards. On plugs for Class II appliances that do not require an earth, the pin is often plastic.

The plug is unusual in that it has a fuse inside rather than relying on a circuit breaker in the distribution panel for protection. The fuse is required to protect the flex, as British wiring standards allow very high-current circuits to the socket. Accepted practice is to choose the smallest standard fuse (3 A, 5 A, or 13 A) that will allow the appliance to function. Using a 13 A fuse on an appliance with thin flex is considered bad practice.

BS 1363 was published in 1962 and since that time it has gradually replaced the earlier standard (type D) (BS 546). Despite being capable of carrying a maximum load of 13 A, it is considered a very safe system.
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Only if you can find the answer to my question.
    I did but posted under my CrabGirl ID.

Hope it still counts.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Didn't really answer my question but brought up a new question.
    Does british electrical have electrical panels for turning off seperate circuits and proptecting to, say, 15 amps on each circuit...or is all your electrical just one big circuit with 1 mains switch then each plug you plug in has a fuse.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    view first unread seems to work for me...

9. Lounge   -   #29
    CrabGirl's Avatar Sexpest
    We have one main fuse box, possibly with several circuits for each house. nowadays with circuit breakers on each. Used to be just fusewire on each circuit but thats a pain when a circuit blows. Each electrical item has a fuse in the plug, but the plug sockets are not fused (to my limited knowledge)- unless its an extension plugged into a main socket, then it is fused.

Can an electrician please tell me if I'm right?
    This pump dispenses gasoline, a fossil fuel. People who believe fossils are not real should put something else in their tanks.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Proper Bo's Avatar spmado BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    view first unread seems to work for me...
    I've never used it, a link to the lounge seems to have magiced it's way onto my toolbar in opera, so I use that instead

As long as I've got a face
    You've got a place to sit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast