Thread: Problem with too many peers and DSL connection

Question Mark

Whenever I'm downloading a torrent file with too many peers, there are also a lot of download slots open (with means that I get like 1,0 kb/s from each peer), my DSL connection "chokes". Which means I can't browse the net even if I limit my downloadspeed from utorrent to half of my connection when this happens. Ok, so I can limit the maximum peers to connect, but this will affect to my uploads. With Azureus I can kick peers out, but I can't do that with utorrent.
    So, is this mainly a problem with DSL general or my modem or something? Any ways to fix this "choking"? Why can't I decide how many download slots I want to have open per torrent?

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Are you using XP SP2? If so then you may need to increase your number of half open connections. Default is 10 and torrents can easily surpass that.

http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497 here is one site with a description. I don't think this is a DSL specific issue. Does it work fine with other services?

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Thanks for that! I downloaded the TCI/IP fix for XP SP2 and everything is working now perfectly!