Thread: movies that are dvd9 question

Hey guys how is everyone? I wanted to know if the newsgroups are the best souce for finding dvd9 movies? When groups release these do they first release them to the newsgroups or is there another source? I know about "the scene" and "topsites" but is the scene the newsgroups? Or is there a diffrent source for "the scene"?

thx
    adam

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    The scene are not the newgroups but the releases seems to pop up in newsgroups faster than any P2P etc.

The following links explaines some of the ditribution in the scene:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_scene#Distribution

This article are nice to read to get an overview:
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.01/topsite.html
    Last edited by MultiForce; 10-06-2006 at 12:47 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    With Usenet one person only has to upload the file once, and then everyone can get their copy fast. When you are talking about a 8.5gb file it makes life a hell of a lot easier for everyone involved. It also allows releases to appear first, if not only, on Usenet.

I see tons of DVD9 releases. I don't grab then becasue I am too cheap to pay for the dual layer disk. I stick to the DVD5 releases.
    Last edited by Broken; 10-06-2006 at 04:53 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    ok guys thanks for anwsering my question. I use dvdshrink to make dvd9 movies fit on dvd5. Works really well

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    towerblocks's Avatar MW2 ADDiCT
    Learn to use CCE for the best quality possible, You can use it with dvdrebuilder for newbies.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Lots of DVD9 postings, particularly in (you could figure: alt.binaries.dvd9); one doesn't HAVE to burn on DVD9 media, of course, even thought current prices are well <$2. The best methodology is to 'split' the movie off from the 'extras', usually the extras are less than DVD5 size (strip off slime, then burn regularly), and the 'movie' is sometimes <DVD5 as well, avoiding a re-code (CCE or other), or at worst, a very slight re-code. You'd be surprised at how many 'movies' are under the dvd5 level, and how many are barely over (<1.100% or so).

DVD-Rebuilder has so smiplified the high-quality recode process from what it was 2-4 yrs ago, it isn't funny. Cheap too. Lots of recoding engines out there other than the 'best', CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder). although lots of *******'ed versions are available on Usenet. With the speed of machines these days, doesn't take all that long (rarely more than 'overnight').

Even though the d/l time is obviously more than the recode versions you see on the dvd newsgroups, you retain all the stripped extras (at your choice), and have ultimate control on the quality of the recode. But not 'that' much more time, with a decent connection. I'll 'assume' you have a good unlimited news-server account, at a good company. I've gotten so that I rarely d/l any 'recode' jobs simply because getting the extras costs one (1) disk (at <$0.25) and allows me to keep the extra director's commentaries and such in the main movie.

And Occasionally, on a great flick/dvd, I'll crack out the DVD9 and burn. You'll need DVDRemake to properly hack off the 'slime' (logo's, warinings, ect) properly (just like dvd5's), and a proper burning pgm (and of course a DL burner) like PGCEdit/Imgburn or commercial s/w like Gear (not Nero, does a lousy job with DL).

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    wolfy1
    if you download a dvd 9 simply open it up with dvd shrink and it will shrink it to 4.7 gb

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    why the hell are you bothering to downlaod a dvd9 only to reduce the quality when you could grab the dvd5 version at half the size and not waste time compressing it.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    i usually get the compression settings in dvd shrink from around 91-100%

so what would be the benefit of using cce?

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post
    i usually get the compression settings in dvd shrink from around 91-100%

so what would be the benefit of using cce?
    CCE is commercial quality, depends though on the number of 'passes' the recode engine goes through. Programs like 'shrink', 'nerorecode', 'CloneDVD', and the like are 'single pass' types; work okay if, IF, the bits tossed out are minimal, like 5% or so.

Recode 'engines' like DVDRebuilder allow, with the proper version of CCE, multiple passes (up to 9-10, although more than 5 or so is considered a bit much). With 'modern' machines, 2Ghz+ cpu's and mounds of ram, rarely take more than 6 hours. Again, depends on if you want the 'extras' as well, on that disk, or splt them off. You can also set those 'extras' to more or less passes than the 'main movie'.

When you read the nfo on a d/l movie, and see where the bps is <3000, that's really bad; too much re-compression. I get shakey if it is <4000, the higher the better, closer to the original.

Of course, if you're using a poor quality dvd player, with RF outputs to an analog TV set, you're probably not going to see any difference. But if you have a decent (nowadays, ~$100) anamorphic player, with a digital televsion, connected via HDMI or component cables, you betcha.