Thread: Music Theory (Guitar--6string)

cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

Question Mark

Anyone know where I can get an ebook or something for free that teaches music theory for guitar....preferabbly for dumbass and idiots?

I've reached my cap (ok ok that's not true) but since I have no desire to play any Malmsteen (far beyond the sun however I do play on a regular basis) I want to start making my own music. Up until now I have made some pretty crazy riffs but by trial and error, I want to learn theory so I can get a better grasp on the whole creative approach.

I hate gloating but I must say, for only playing 8 months of guitar I have come a very long way, thanks to Slayer and Lamb of God for getting my speed up.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

2. Music   -   #2
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I'm not to sure where to grab an ebook on theory except maybe Oink, however I would suggest getting a poster of scales. A buddy of mine has a poster of some basic scales on his wall and I made it a point one day learn a few.

By varying the tempo and string attack on scales, you can make some pretty awesome songs without even putting alot of effort into the creative process. It may not teach you the theory you were looking for, but it has helped me get a grasp on the developing aspect of music rather than simply emulating others as I have been for months.

3. Music   -   #3
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by Damnatory View Post
    By varying the tempo and string attack on scales, you can make some pretty awesome songs without even putting alot of effort into the creative process. It may not teach you the theory you were looking for, but it has helped me get a grasp on the developing aspect of music rather than simply emulating others as I have been for months.
    That last part sums me up in a sentence lol thanks man will def do that.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. Music   -   #4
    crapthings's Avatar Satanism
    got this from ed

http://www.jamorama.com/
    / watch learn /

5. Music   -   #5
    rjfan's Avatar Rosebud...
    there are a million and one sites on guitar theory...just search for them.
    it is hard though to find one that will start with some simple intro stuff so
    you may tend to get discouraged. if nothing else go to a bookstore and get
    guitar theory for dummies..there is such a book.

6. Music   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    Last edited by 100%; 10-07-2006 at 12:33 PM.