Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jack Straw

Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Perhaps through from having a name that suggests a B Movie Horror flick our Jack seems to have raised a devil of a discussion.

It seems that since the problems of the last few years there has been an increasing tendancy for burqa type veils to be worn by women who would not previously have considered doing so. I have to confess to being troubled as to where this is likely to go. I have an increasing concern that it might result in other people also covering their faces (using the white variety with a pointy tendancy in the head department).

Now it has to be to said this does not directly affect me - I am not sure there are any Muslms living in my town let alone having any feeling of threat or being swamped. However, I appreciate that in some English towns there are serious flash points and that civil strife is possible. I guess what I am asking is, has Jack pricked the boil or has he merely hastened the infection?

Edit:

For those wondering what I am talking about

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...de/5415478.stm
    Last edited by Biggles; 10-07-2006 at 11:47 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    ...the attacker was white and slim with silver-grey hair...
    Hmmm, has anyone questioned Mr Straw over his whereabouts at the time of the attack?

Seriously, it troubles me that muslims complaining about the comments seem to think that Mr Straw has ordered veils be removed. From the reports that I've heard his comments don't suggest this at all, merely that he would prefer it.
    Whether this is due to mis- or disinformation doesn't really matter; seems like they hear what they want to hear.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What is the stance have the the banks taken, if any, to the wearing of Burqas and veils? They stop people wearing crash helmets.

Should the Forum ban this -->
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab View Post
    What is the stance have the the banks taken, if any, to the wearing of Burqas and veils? They stop people wearing crash helmets.

Should the Forum ban this -->
    Excellent point.

I think.

As an American, I can't be so sure, you see.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    It's very possible the comments have been twisted when reported and probably someone in the audience will have decided he said something he didn't. We see that all the time here.
    When it comes to religion (among other things) it seems there are some that are a tad over sensitive. It's not always the comment either, but rather who said it.
    That said, as a seasoned public figure, Straw should know "the game" and be a bit more careful.
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-08-2006 at 02:38 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Scouse always
    If A "Hoodie" tries to go into A large store he will be turned away; rightly so. And it is for the reason that A CCTV cannot identifie A thief or anyone that is responsible for a crime, who has their face "MASQUED".
    This type of thing started about 30 years ago whe the government allowed Sieks to use motorcycles without Crash Helmets
    ARRYTHEDEV

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Scouse always
    Also the "Yank's" have not got A clue, they are so far removed from the problem. Does everyone know that 57% of their race still thinks that the "World" was created in 7 days!!!!!
    ARRYTHEDEV

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    In any case, it seems Straw made a point needing airing (again).

To my mind, it is refreshing to hear things stated plainly rather than with the verbal ballet required by today's "diplomatic sensitivity", which is utter horseshit.

Straw wasn't being insensitive.

arrynev-

You'd be well-advised to count your own tiny allotment of "clues" before commenting on others.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    The tabloid press are really stirring things up, based on what Jack Straw said.

Whether you agree with him or not, in a free society you've a right to express your opinion, and his opinion is that it's better to talk to people face to face where you can see their facial expressions.

I happen to agree with him. This is one of the reasons we have emoticons on message boards and text messages, to convey a mood when the face can't be seen.

He never said he was forcing Muslim women to remove the veil, he just suggested it when they came in for appointments, to aid clearer communication.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    In any case, it seems Straw made a point needing airing (again).

To my mind, it is refreshing to hear things stated plainly rather than with the verbal ballet required by today's "diplomatic sensitivity", which is utter horseshit.

Straw wasn't being insensitive.
    All that depends on which set of ears the words fall on and how it was actually said.
    Given that we don't have the full context it's hard to tell if he was being insensitive or not. The point he says he was making will be lost on the target audience if it is not worded carefully.
    We see this all the time in politics and and even on this forum. People interpret what is said in a way that suits them.

It's only refreshing to hear things stated plainly if it's something you agree with and want to hear, as your reaction to arrynev's post apparently shows
    Last edited by vidcc; 10-09-2006 at 04:36 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast