Thread: Day of Defeat Source Video Problem

orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Hey everyone. I am in desperate need of an answer for my problem! Nobody on the servers or at DOD/steam forums can help me! I have only owned DOD for 24 hours so far, and have encountered many graphics problems. First I will tell you my setup. Windows XP Professional, 1.5 GB RAM, 128 MB ATI X300, and Intel 3GHz P4. Now I will describe my problem. When I first started playing the game, everything was fine. Then I started noticing that random objects like concrete blocks and sandbags were much much brighter than the rest of the map. Then, after you die, or right before you spawn, the screen changes to an "old time movie" making it seem like you are watching an old war movie with black splotches and such. This was normal for a while, but then the black splotches were replaced with random white squares popping up all over my screen, and a nice big white diagonal line through the entire screen. I dont know why it is doing this, since I have only owned the game 24 hours. I also noticed that in the "Advanced" options under video, it says my Direct X hardware is 6.0, but my software is 9.0. My video card drivers arent that out of date, but I decided to update them anways. This did nothing. So I tried uninstalling DOD Source completely and then reinstalling the driver, and then reinstalling DOD, but this also has done nothing. And now to end that I have come to the support forum to find an answer. If anybody could please help me with this, I would appreciate it much! I want to enjoy my newly-purchased game!! :[ Thank you in advance! I will check back here frequently for replies and will answer questions when needed!

2. Games   -   #2
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    About the random objects being brighter then others, thats most likely due to the HDR lighting (which you can turn off in the video settings). As far as the film grain problems go I really dont know, Im surprised you can run DOD:S adequately on an X300.

3. Games   -   #3
    I can run every other source game all on High everything and 4x aliasing with no stutters, freezing, or any problems at all. I dont know what to do except maybe just wait for the DOD people to get back to me. And HDR lighting is off for me, so I dont know what that is about. Thank you for your help though, I appreciate you trying to help me. :]

4. Games   -   #4
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Could you post some screens of these problems?

5. Games   -   #5
    Well I have turned everthing down to LOW except Model Detail, I will try some other settings. It works perfectly fine when everthing is low... For some reason, when I have everthing on high (except filterting, hdr, other things on the bottom) it says my hardware Directx is 6, but when I put everything on LOW, it says it is 9. I will post screenshots in a bit, I am in school right now. It sure is acting weird.

6. Games   -   #6
    Okay I give up... Everything is on low, and now it went back to all of my original problems... Here are some screenshots..

Screen Shot 1

Screen Shot 2

Screen Shot 3

Screen Shot 4

Screen Shot 5

Screen Shot 6

And I just happened to be playing dod_donner, but its the same on every map, it makes no difference.

7. Games   -   #7
    Seedler's Avatar T__________________T
    Turn DOWN those settings.

Really.

If you're idea of "running" a game is have ~10fps then keep those settings that you play at right now.

With only a x300 (se suspected) you're better off turning everything to at least medium.

As for your problem, it could be that your gfx is not keeping up and incorrectly rendering a lot of the objects.

Lastly, a driver update might help.
    Biostar XE T5
    i5-750 @ 4.0 GHZ stable (CM Hyper 212)
    2 x 2GB Cosair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHZ
    Radeon 5850 @ 866/1254MHZ
    Intel X25-M in RAID 0
    WD Caviar Black 2TB in RAID 0
    3 x Asus 25.5" VW266H LCD [Eyefinity]

8. Games   -   #8
    I already updated the driver before I even posted this thread. I also turned everything down to low and nothing changed. I think I actually took those screenshots on all low settings. But I dont get 10fps with my games, I get more like 40-60. on high settings I need to reiterate that I am not getting any performance issues, the only real issues are what are in the screenshots... Thank you for your help! Nobody on the steam forums is helping either. Keep it coming guys!