Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L.A. Boy Scouts start patch for learning about evils of copyright violation

DSLFreak's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    [news=http://img317.imageshack.us/img317/1393/boyscoutsei1.gif]LOS ANGELES (AP) — A Boy Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, etc., etc. He is also respectful of copyrights. Boy Scouts in the Los Angeles area will now be able to earn an activity patch for learning about the evils of downloading pirated movies and music.

The patch shows a film reel, a music CD and the international copyright symbol, a "C" enclosed in a circle.

The movie industry has developed the curriculum.

"Working with the Boy Scouts of Los Angeles, we have a real opportunity to educate a new generation about how movies are made, why they are valuable, and hopefully change attitudes about intellectual property theft," Dan Glickman, chairman of the Motion Picture Association of America, said in a statement Friday.

Scouts will be instructed in the basics of copyright law and learn how to identify five types of copyrighted works and three ways copyrighted materials may be stolen.

Scouts also must choose one activity from a list that includes visiting a movie studio to see how many people can be harmed by film piracy. They also can create public service announcements urging others not to steal movies or music.

Many of the Scouts in the Los Angeles area come from families whose members are somehow connected to the region's sprawling entertainment industry, said Victor Zuniga, a spokesman for the Los Angeles Area Council.

The program is being introduced to the 52,000 Scouts in the Los Angeles area, with plans to offer it to other California councils early next year. The program will reach Scouts ages 6 to 21.

Unlike a merit badge, an activity patch is not required to advance in the Scouts. Instead, they are awarded for various recreational and educational activities, such as conservation or volunteering at a food bank.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...s_x.htm?csp=34[/news]
    Last edited by DSLFreak; 10-21-2006 at 05:17 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    That's fucking stupid.

I was a Boy Scout and copyrights have nothing to do with "scouting".

What a crock.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    survive_urbanjungle_thru_m0ral_propoganda.tor

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Well, I was a boy scout and I'm still a pirate!

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    daimyo_Enkidu's Avatar daimyo of Abydos
    Brainwashing little children ???
    What's next ?
    Burning books ?
    Mindcontrol ?

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    It will only make them more curious.

Eagle leader: HAve you used Kazaa
    Scout : whats kazaa? Although it means house in spanish.
    Eagle : Good, have you used limewire?
    Scout: I made some lime juice on the camp last week.
    Eagle:Good, Have you used Bitorrent?
    Scout:I'm not sure what you are talking about.
    Eagle: have you ever shared files?
    Scout:Apart from sharing sleeping bag with eagle scout XL12, I have used messenger to send videos of eagle scout camp training to friends.
    Eagle: Oh, Messenger, then you have passed.

Last edited by 100%; 10-21-2006 at 08:31 PM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    gamer4eva's Avatar Torrent_King BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    This is messed up man and i think that things are yet to become even worse. Also as others said what is being a boy scout got to do with piracy. I bet in like 2-3 years ppl will come knocking on my door trying to sell junk about piracy. 'Is all part of the awareness program they will say'.
    Temptations The Ultimate Flaw In Humans

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    LOL^

This does seem a little wierd. Reminds me of brainwashing, but I guess it'll be a legit lesson...But from what I remember from Boy Scouts its about OUTdoor activities I.E. Camping, hiking, useful skills, and building stuff to whack the hell out of the other scouts with (We did a 'Knights' spinoff and took wooden & plastic swords and we all beat each other).

Ahhhh, memories.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    It IS brainwashing, in a sense. But then so is all education.

I don't think it right that a private organization is allowed to affect their ideology, but it's really up to the American public whether this should be acceptable or not.

Let's just hope they don't let Mcdonalds teach the kids what they should be eating, or something like that, next.

If the scout-movement does something like that here, I won't let them near any future children of mine.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    famous45's Avatar money=happiness BT Rep: +1
    This must be boy scout troop #GAY. Yeah, what happened to going camping and helping the old lady across the street. I also was a Boy Scout and if this was part of it I would have quit sooner. I think I'm gonna earn a merit badge for downloading over 100 gigs worth a movies in 1 day.
    Last edited by famous45; 10-22-2006 at 05:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast