Thread: NEC ships hybrid Blu-ray/HD DVD chip

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    By Humphrey Cheung
    Published Tuesday 10th October 2006 16:21 GMT

Undecided on whether you should buy a Blu-ray or HD DVD player? NEC wants to simplify that decision and has begun shipping a hybrid chip capable of playing back both Blu-ray and HD DVD formats. According to Reuters, the chips will sell for around $84 each.

Despite the technical success of the chip, legal issues may nix any future hybrid players. Back in July, the European Commission sent the Blu-ray and HD DVDs a letter asking for clarification on some licensing issues.

Companies wanting to make either Blu-ray or HD DVD players must license their respective technologies. Some companies, mainly drive makers and media companies like Paramount and Warner Brothers, are hedging their bets by licensing both technologies.

Samsung, LG and others had announced hybrid players, but may be contractually prohibited from making them. LG even cancelled their hybrid plans and went ahead with making only Blu-ray players and recorders. Sony's Blu-ray license apparently prohibits drive makers from manufacturing a hybrid drive.

The chips are shipping now and NEC expects to sell 300,000 a month starting in April 2007.

Source: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/10/nec_hybrid_chip/

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Why do people who are supposed to be so smart do things that are so stupid? Just decide on 1 HD format, is that too much to ask. And they wonder why people illegally download!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by StaINdrOcKs View Post
    Why do people who are supposed to be so smart do things that are so stupid? Just decide on 1 HD format, is that too much to ask. And they wonder why people illegally download!
    I don't think it's stupid from a business standpoint. If you made the format that wins then you stand to make a bigger profit than if you compromised.

Sony has the upperhand, imo. The only thing not going for Sony is the higher pricepoint for Blu-Ray equipment.

This may be by design so that when the PS3 comes out, it will be considered a bargain.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    oo3's Avatar Supa Friendly AviatR
    I hope blu-ray fails. Almost everything Sony makes to be proprietary, fails, and they make it standard for Sony devices.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    going to work now so i can't further research... how does this work? a chip for what? a disk rom for a pc? standalone player? both? nothing says in that link either. either way, i like this idea. if it's affordable i'd do it if i find out what's it's for to begin with.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by oo3 View Post
    I hope blu-ray fails. Almost everything Sony makes to be proprietary, fails, and they make it standard for Sony devices.
    Blu-Ray is not proprietary.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    SomeIdiot's Avatar I'll show ye..
    I don't think it will last at all. What media types has Sony introduced that actually stuck around for a while? Any one remember MD(Mini-Disk)?

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Poster
    yea MD's i have an MD Player LOl