Thread: Chipping a PS2 yourself?

How easy is it to add a mod chip to your ps2? And how much will it cost?

2. Games   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    depends on what version your ps2 is. the older version, the bigger one, is slightly easier to chip because the solder points are slightly more spread apart. that said, u still have to be pretty good w/ a soldering iron to chip 20-30 tiny wire connectors. the chips run from $10 to prob more than $50.

if u have the newer slim ps2, and u have had no previous experience, there's a very large chance you'll fuck up. smaller circuit board, smaller area, much harder to solder.

i'd highly recommend u pay a professional to do it. check ps2scene forums for many professionals, including feedback on stores like xmodds.com and other sites that sell the chip and will install into your ps2.

i got mine done @ xmodds.com for around $80. had it for over 6 months now.

3. Games   -   #3
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I agree completely, I've been doing alot of research into it myself and it seems like a pretty difficult procedure.

That being said though, I think I'm still going to try it. I've got a v1 or v2 mobo in mine so it should be a little easier, however I bought a dead motherboard off of one of the professional modders on ps2-scene so that I may practice soldering before I attempt it. I really don't want to render my PS2 a paper weight.

4. Games   -   #4
    I got the older version

5. Games   -   #5
    Also i'm in the UK

6. Games   -   #6
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    yeah, when i tried to install it myself i literally had little expreience myself. I ended up fucking up one of the pins on the ps2 motherboard. That's when i decided to have a pro do it and replace the motherboard for me. Also when you install a modchip be sure you replace the ps2 laser with a 400c

go to http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/index.php? and see if you can find a member named N£TM£ÇH, he's trustworthy.

7. Games   -   #7
    Damnatory's Avatar OTL BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
    yeah, when i tried to install it myself i literally had little expreience myself. I ended up fucking up one of the pins on the ps2 motherboard. That's when i decided to have a pro do it and replace the motherboard for me. Also when you install a modchip be sure you replace the ps2 laser with a 400c

go to http://www.ps2-scene.org/forums/index.php? and see if you can find a member named N£TM£ÇH, he's trustworthy.
    Yeah I've been looking at some of the installs N£TM£ÇH has done, impressively professional!

Check this one out:

8. Games   -   #8
    But hes in the US right?

9. Games   -   #9
    Formula1's Avatar Poster
    yeah he's located around chicago, IL.

10. Games   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
    yeah he's located around chicago, IL.
    yes, netmech does some pretty dec work. i lived in chicago up till 2 months ago, and i felt stupid for getting mine modded by xmodds when there's at least 3-4 pro modders in the area who could do it for less. oh well